Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can someone explain gb usage when updating

if your macbook has 2 gb memory and 250gb hd and you have SL and want to upgrade to Lion or Mtn Lion or Mavericks BUT they require 2gb memory to upgrade to...does it use all of the 2gb you have? in other words you have 2gb it requires 2gb so your are left with zero gb because you upgraded?

Note, I am sure this is dependant upon how much stuff you have on your mac as well...for me mine is new and has nothing trans from my pc yet!

Anyone??

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2010 MC516LL/A 7,1 Intel Core Duo

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 4:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 4:49 PM

RAM is the very fast, temporary memory used when you ar running your machne. It is hardware and never grows or diminishes unless you put physical parts into the computer.

Storage - your hard disk, is the long term, much slower type of storage that is where your files, OS and apps are until you erase them. It remains when the power goes off etc.

The 2 GB required for upgrade means that you need 2GB free on your hard disk in order for the upgrade to proceed. In truth, you hould always have about 15% of your hard disk empty or it will slow downa nd errors could occur.

You might want to get a basic book on computers - at this level they are all the same.

Grant

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2014 4:49 PM in response to Kacey04

RAM is the very fast, temporary memory used when you ar running your machne. It is hardware and never grows or diminishes unless you put physical parts into the computer.

Storage - your hard disk, is the long term, much slower type of storage that is where your files, OS and apps are until you erase them. It remains when the power goes off etc.

The 2 GB required for upgrade means that you need 2GB free on your hard disk in order for the upgrade to proceed. In truth, you hould always have about 15% of your hard disk empty or it will slow downa nd errors could occur.

You might want to get a basic book on computers - at this level they are all the same.

Grant

Feb 15, 2014 5:43 AM in response to Kacey04

Not quite. You have plenty of hard drive space available (probably, you didnt actually say how full your hard disk is) to install Mavericks. As to RAM, you have 2GB now, you will stillhave 2GB after insatll. 10.7,8 or 9 all generally want a bit more RAM than 10.6 does, and most peole find 2GB too little. If your machine can accept it, expand to 4 or 8 (its pretty cheap from placees like crucial.com or macsales.com). I can't tell you if that machine accepts more RAM - check with the vendor.

As to the 15% - you need to option-click your hard drive and "get info". It will tell you how big it is, how much is used and how much is free.

I suggest buying a book called 'OS-X, the missing manual", by David Pogue. Many bookstores have it.

Assuming its correct, here is what machine you have (per your signature):

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2010 MC516LL/A 7,1 Intel Core Duo

I'd need to look it up. If it is a core duo and not a core2 duo, you cannot run mavericks.

Grant

Feb 15, 2014 7:31 AM in response to Grant Lenahan

Thank your for book info I will check it out!

I do have a Core 2 Duo

227.13 is avail as per "Get Info"

I believe it can accept adding more gb...I will have to find out how to know for sure.

But the problem is that I need to do all this asap as I have a dying PC and need to trans stuff. This will be a lightly used Mac (iphoto, itunes, apps, surf etc) and I was trying to do all the upgrading before trans so I wont have tons to backup, or exp issues.

Not to mention that I am finding that the apps, migration assistant, icloud, etc all need the upgrades too!! I think I read at least Lion to get icloud.

Well if I am hearing this all correctly my choice seems to be:

upgrade to get apps, migration assist, etc I need, and be able to hurry due to dying pc...vs...deal with slower dare I saw gliltchy mac...vs wait for $ to buy 4gb & install, don't trans pc yet (but will pc stay alive lol)

As I said elsewhere...btwn a rock and a hard spot

I won't hold anyone to it...but if you were in my shoes - What Would You DO/not DO?

Feb 15, 2014 7:39 AM in response to Kacey04

What woudl I do?

I would first ask apple (store, call on phone) to confirm that your macbook can be upgraded to Mavericks.

if that checks out i would call crucial.com and buy RAM - as much as it will hold. wont be over $100. Have someone who can put it in for you. Else go to a store and buy it and have it installed, but keep in mind what it SHOULD cost - $100 for the parts.

Next - get an external USN hard drive - at least 1TB. Create two partitions using disk utility - one big enough fro all your PC files and the other all the rest. Format one for PC ("ex-FAT") and the other for mac (Mac OS extended - journaled). Back up all your POC files to the first one. Make a complete, bootable clone of your mac as it is right now to the other. I use carbon Copy Cloner, but time machine works too. This way if somethign goes badly, you are protected.

Now that everything is safe and backed up, upgrade your Mac, both hardware and software.

Then use migration assistant to pull over the pC files, either from the PC or the drive. A 1-2TB USB drive (full size, nto portable, please) is about $100.

Good luck. Sicne oyu seem to be technically new to all this, you might want to use the Apple store or ???? for assistance.

Grant

Feb 15, 2014 10:04 AM in response to Kacey04

Check that your computer is compatible with Mountain Lion/Mavericks.

To check the model number hold down the option/alt key, go to the Apple menu and select System Information.

• MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) model number 5,1 or higher
  • MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) model number 3,1 or higher

Your Mac needs:

• OS X v10.6.8 or OS X Lion already installed
  • 2 GB or more of memory (More is better - 4 GB minimum seems to be the consensus)
  • 8 GB or more of available space

Check to make sure your applications are compatible. PowerPC applications are no longer supported after 10.6.

Application Compatibility

Applications Compatibility (2)

The 2 places I’ve seen recommended most to buy reliable RAM are below. I have purchased RAM several times from Other World Computing and have always been very satisfied with the product and service.

Crucial

Other World Computing

can someone explain gb usage when updating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.