Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Splicing together video recorded on digital camera and iPhone in iMovie.

I'm trying to put together a short video interview for my multimedia class. I'm using iMovie 09', version 8.0.6. (I've heard that iMovie 11 is highly problematic), on the 09' MacBook Pro. This project requires a lot of multiple angle shots and a lot of B-roll clips. I've been using an iPhone 4 to record the B-roll and for the actual interview segment, I'm going to be using a Sony A3000 digital camera with interchangeable lens, 20.1 megapixels, 18-55mm lens.

My question is rather or not splicing the iPhone footage and camera footage will roll together smoothly, or if it will be clear I'm using two very different recording devices, with a very-amateurish, jumpy feel to it? I am an amateur and this is my first multimedia class, and I'm in the beginning stages of video making, but want my video to look as good as possible. Thank you in advance for all you help 🙂.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 5:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 10:50 PM

PlanetCharnBaby wrote:

…splicing the iPhone footage and camera footage will roll together smoothly, or if it will be clear I'm using two very different recording devices, with a very-amateurish, jumpy feel to it?…

just try it with some short takes - why discussing that 'academically'??

for sure:

using diff. cameras give each shot a different 'look'; professionals spend a lot of time to give two/many cameras the same 'setting', in terms of white-balance, color-profile, gain etc etc etc. - which isn't optional in your set-up due to involved devices.

same in post:

again, professionals would spend a lot of time to 'grade' each angle to same level - iMovie lacks essential features such as 'scopes' to achieve that.

but, if you record under excellent light conditions, results should be satisfactory. 😉

final advice:

you probably have seen that 'effect' in interviews: the main cam is done perfectly lit, and a b-roll device, handheld, super-imposed animated 'rec button' is done in black&white = instead of doing an less-than-perfect attempt, the 'failure' is a intended feature 😁

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2014 10:50 PM in response to PlanetCharnBaby

PlanetCharnBaby wrote:

…splicing the iPhone footage and camera footage will roll together smoothly, or if it will be clear I'm using two very different recording devices, with a very-amateurish, jumpy feel to it?…

just try it with some short takes - why discussing that 'academically'??

for sure:

using diff. cameras give each shot a different 'look'; professionals spend a lot of time to give two/many cameras the same 'setting', in terms of white-balance, color-profile, gain etc etc etc. - which isn't optional in your set-up due to involved devices.

same in post:

again, professionals would spend a lot of time to 'grade' each angle to same level - iMovie lacks essential features such as 'scopes' to achieve that.

but, if you record under excellent light conditions, results should be satisfactory. 😉

final advice:

you probably have seen that 'effect' in interviews: the main cam is done perfectly lit, and a b-roll device, handheld, super-imposed animated 'rec button' is done in black&white = instead of doing an less-than-perfect attempt, the 'failure' is a intended feature 😁

Splicing together video recorded on digital camera and iPhone in iMovie.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.