Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

don't have write access iTunes media folder or folder within it

I have recently restored my iTunes media from a two week old version from a Time machine backup

I deleted all the files in my MUSIC folder, and then restored the version that I last used two weeks ago.

Now when I try to burn a CD into iTunes I get this message " The file "xxxx" couldnt be converted - You don't have write access for your iTunes Media folder or a folder within it. To change permissions, select your iTunes Media folder in the Finder, and choose File > Get Info."

I have read many of the previous community submissions and "solutions", and so far I have done the following

A) changed my folders to have "read/write" permissions

B) gone into Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility > Run "verify disk permissions" and "repair disk permissions"

C) gone into User > Library > Preferences > com.apple.iTunes.plist.lock file and removed it to the desktop

D) gone into Terminal App and run some script starting with sudo

and still the issue persists.

Does anyone know what is the true solution? - I am at my wits end..!!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 4:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 5:09 PM

Does your "/Users/Shared" folder exist? If not , recreate it with the correct permissions, see this document:

iTunes: Missing folder or incorrect permissions may prevent authorization http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1277

6 replies

don't have write access iTunes media folder or folder within it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.