Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old Macbook 1,1 running OS X 10.6.8. Trackpad works. Clicking does not.

Hello friends,

I've been using an older laptop as a secondary laptop and have had no problems until just recently. I turned on the laptop, which booted up regularly. The trackpad works, but the clicking does not. The OS senses the mouse, for example if I hover over a dropdown menu, the options dropdown and can be highlighted but not clicked.

There is no magic mouse. I had previously set up a blue tooth mouse, but it no longer pairs with it.

It may be old and broken, but I'm curious as to what you think it is. With these non-unibody laptops sometimes a solution can be hacked!

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 7:02 PM

3 replies

Feb 15, 2014 9:40 AM in response to leroydouglas

Both don't work. Interestingly , I plugged in a usb mouse this morning. The usb mouse works fine and I explored system preferences, which yielded no results. If however (with the usb mouse plugged in and working) lay a finger on the trackpad or physical click buttons, the clicking functionality of the usb mouse disapears.

This leads me to believe that somehow the trackpad/mouse gets immediately clicked, but then stays clicked inhibiting other clicks. What do you think?

Old Macbook 1,1 running OS X 10.6.8. Trackpad works. Clicking does not.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.