Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Have I set up airport extreme correctly?

So, I have been using the Telstra wifi modem. I then bought an airport extreme, and plugged everything in and made the network name and password the same. I then went into the telstra tto untick the 'interface enabled' box. Which turned off the wifi light and turned the ECO light blue.

I then saw that it said it was running at 100mb/s and not the advertised 1.3gb/s speed. I also saw it was in 'bridge mode'. What does this mean?

I got it purely for streaming through apple TV, and file sharing. How to I set this up to optimise these aspects?

I can't access the IP address for the airport (10.0.0.3) through google chrome if that helps, but the light is green.

Thanks guys, running mavricks by the way.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 8:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 10:37 PM

Exactly what modem do you have?

The 100mbps is fine if you are on ADSL.. and even fibre it is not going to be much different.. but there is only one gigabit port so you might have the Extreme plugged into the wrong thing.

I got it purely for streaming through apple TV, and file sharing. How to I set this up to optimise these aspects?

I can't access the IP address for the airport (10.0.0.3) through google chrome if that helps, but the light is green.

You should not have anything connected to the modem except the Extreme. Everything connected to the Extreme then you have gigabit on ethernet at least.. the AppleTV will only have 100mbit ports though and N wireless so the AC is useless for that.

You do not access the Extreme by browser .. you open the airport utility on a Mac. It must be the latest v6 and you should also setup ipv6 to link-local in the computer settings for wireless and ethernet (if it has one).

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2014 10:37 PM in response to Hugo Boss 5321

Exactly what modem do you have?

The 100mbps is fine if you are on ADSL.. and even fibre it is not going to be much different.. but there is only one gigabit port so you might have the Extreme plugged into the wrong thing.

You should not have anything connected to the modem except the Extreme. Everything connected to the Extreme then you have gigabit on ethernet at least.. the AppleTV will only have 100mbit ports though and N wireless so the AC is useless for that.

You do not access the Extreme by browser .. you open the airport utility on a Mac. It must be the latest v6 and you should also setup ipv6 to link-local in the computer settings for wireless and ethernet (if it has one).

Feb 15, 2014 1:19 AM in response to Hugo Boss 5321

It should be plugged into the WAN port of the Extreme..

The manual for the extreme tells you what all the ports are.. the ones that are grouped with 3 are LAN.. the one by itself is WAN.. it has a symbol like a sunburst.

And if you want to use gigabit.. totally irrelevant in Australia as we have no internet that fast.. it is port 4.. you see the manaul for the TG797 has that info..

Ethernet switch The Ethernet switch ( ) allows you to connect an Ethernet device (for example, a computer) to your local network. For

more information, see “3.3 Connecting Your Network Devices to the MediaAccess Gateway” on page 30.
Ethernet port
4 is a Gigabit Ethernet port and has a maximum speed of 1 Gbps (Gigabit per second). The other Ethernet

ports have a maximum speed of 100Mbps (Megabit per second).
A LED may be provided per Ethernet port to indicate link integrity (or activity).

I'm also getting this double NAT error. How do I turn NAT off on my modem (Technicolor TG797n v3)?

Either the Extreme or the TG797N should be bridged. You cannot bridge the 797N if you have fibre connection.. only with ADSL.

Go to the manual.. or use the setup wizard.. either from the browser directly to the TG or the version on the CD which of course will need to use windows computer to work.

Go to the setup configuration and choose bridge. Then in the AE, use the pppoe client in the wan setup.

But it is equally fine to bridge the AE.. you gain nothing really by using the AE in router.

Manual for the AE here.

http://support.apple.com/manuals/%23airport

Manual for the TG797 here.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Technicolor-TG797n-v3/td-p /185613

Setup utility is also there.. but no use for Mac.

Feb 15, 2014 3:39 AM in response to LaPastenague

Okay. I don't really care about the connection to the DSL as you said, the connection speed isn't fast enough, just the speed of the network was all I was worried about.

Anyway, just to make sure, you are saying that putting the airport extreme in bridge mode will have no affect on its network speed, right?

If in bridge mode, won't the port used affect the network speed?

Cheers, you've helped a lot.

Feb 15, 2014 3:52 AM in response to Hugo Boss 5321

In bridge mode all ports in the Extreme are identical. WAN is transferred to LAN.. so it really makes little difference.

The DSL speed is 24mbps max.. so 100mbit is adequate as far as connection modem to Extreme.

But Double NAT is a problem.. you want to avoid it as you will have issues if you don't fix it.

So bridge one box or the other.. it makes very little difference to the network which.

you are saying that putting the airport extreme in bridge mode will have no affect on its network speed, right?

Correct.. since the max speed of internet is 24mbps then the speed of the extreme will not have any effect.

If in bridge mode, won't the port used affect the network speed?

No,, because only internet LAN items will be affected and they should all be plugged into the Extreme.. since the Technicolor only has a single gigabit port.

For WAN connection everything is limited to dsl speed.

Have I set up airport extreme correctly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.