Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad mini was locked and the wrong passcode was entered enough to disable it. Tried to connect to a laptop but it says it is locked and the passcode needs to be entered, but I can't because the device says it is disabled.

I tried next to put device into recovery mode and reset it that way but it still said the same thing, itunes says I need to enter passcode to unlock it but the iPad says it is disabled. What can I do next?

iPad, iOS 7.0.4, ipad mini

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 10:15 PM

5 replies

Feb 14, 2014 10:16 PM in response to Llorona19

FORCE IPAD INTO RECOVERY MODE

1. Turn off iPad

2. Turn on computer and launch iTune (make sure you have the latest version of iTune)

3. Plug USB cable into computer's USB port

4. Hold Home button down and plug the other end of cable into docking port. Do not release button until you see picture of iTune and plug (very important)

5. Release Home button.

ON COMPUTER

6. iTune has detected iPad in recovery mode. You must restore this iPad before it can be used with iTune.

7. Select "Restore iPad"...

Note: Data will be lost

Feb 14, 2014 10:43 PM in response to Diavonex

I already tried that. I successfully put it into recovery mode. I clicked on restore iPad, and after about 10 minutes while it was downloading the software it said the same thing about the passcode and needing to enter it. So I came back to the same point. I will have to see if I have find my ipad turned on, will that erase the passcode put on it?

Feb 15, 2014 12:51 PM in response to Diavonex

I tried again, it says "Itunes has detected an iPad in recovery mode. You must restore this iPad before it can be used with iTunes". and the iPad mini has the itunes logo with the USB cord and an arrow on it on the screen. I clciked ok on the computer to shut that message off.

On iTunes it says "Ipad recovery mode. Your software is up to date. Click check for updatr to see if new software is available." The check fo update button is grayed out and the Restore iPad button is available to click. I click on "restore iPad" and a pop up says "Are you sure you want to restore the ipad to its factory settings? All of your media and other data will be erased, and the newest version of the ipad software installed. Itunes will verify the restore with Apple. After this prcess is complete, you will have the option to restore your contact, calendars, text messages, and other settings."

I clicked on "restore and update" and it shows a box with software update 7.0.4 and I click on next. I accept the user agreement and it starts to download the ipad software update.

I wait for the update to install and as I am waiting a box pops up that says "itunes could not connect to the ipad because it is locked with a passcde. You must enter your passcode on the ipad before it can be used with itunes" and it gives me the option to click more information, try again, and cancel.

So what do I do now?

ipad mini was locked and the wrong passcode was entered enough to disable it. Tried to connect to a laptop but it says it is locked and the passcode needs to be entered, but I can't because the device says it is disabled.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.