Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downgrading from Lion to Snow Leopard

I am trying to do a factory reset on my MBP, and after reading all the forums, the concensus was that you have to wipe your hard drives first, then boot from the installation CD. I did all of that just fine, but in the middle of installing, it said something like, "Installation failed. Please contact your software manufacturer." I tried again, same message.

What is the problem here? Is my CD bad? It's the original one that came with the laptop.

More importantly, if I bring my laptop to the Genius Bar, will they be able to put an OS back on it?

And will it be free?

Thanks!

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 10:53 PM

6 replies

Feb 14, 2014 11:25 PM in response to ajeclizm

OK, so you're using the original gray discs that came with your machine? And you've used the gray installation disc to both reformat your hard drive and tried to install Snow Leopard with that disc?

If that's what you've done there's no reason that the installation should fail. It could be that there's something wrong with the disc: if so you'll need to call Apple and, with your serial number handy, order a new set of machine-specific discs.

Good luck,

Clinton

Feb 14, 2014 11:44 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Well, here was my exact procedure:

1. Backed up all my files.

2. Shut down

3. Reboot holding down Cmd+R

4. Used disk utility to erase hard drive (only one partition).

5. Ran installation disc.

6. It installed halfway then said "installation failed."

7.Tried installing again. Same message.

So if you don't see any problems with my procedure, then you're probably right. I will head to the Genius Bar tomorrow and find out if my CD has a problem. Thanks!

Downgrading from Lion to Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.