Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Appel mail - freeze on recipient selection

I don't understand why, but when in Apple Mail, I start to type me as recipient, it starts auto completion, and it freezees for several minutes !

When I enter anybody else, it works without problem. But not for me (when I want to send a mail to my pro email for instance).

Thanks for your help !

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), (24-inch Mid 2007)

Posted on Feb 15, 2014 12:38 AM

14 replies

Feb 15, 2014 10:43 AM in response to Gilles

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left. If you don't see that menu, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then try the action that you're having trouble with again. Select any messages that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message (command-V).

When posting a log extract, be selective. In most cases, a few dozen lines are more than enough.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Feb 16, 2014 1:43 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for your help.

This is the only one that looks related to the problem.

16/02/2014 10:15:58,716 AddressBookSourceSync[20452]: [CardDAVPlugin-ERROR] Update of Me card on server failed with error: Error Domain=CoreDAVErrorDomain Code=2 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (CoreDAVErrorDomain error 2.)"

All the others are :

16/02/2014 10:14:49,706 com.apple.launchd[1]: (com.apple.qtkitserver[20426]) Could not terminate job: 3: No such process

16/02/2014 10:14:49,706 com.apple.launchd[1]: (com.apple.qtkitserver[20426]) Using fallback option to terminate job...

16/02/2014 10:17:23,043 secd[343]: securityd_xpc_dictionary_handler QuickCal[301] copy_matching The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error -34018 - client has neither application-identifier nor keychain-access-groups entitlements)

16/02/2014 10:17:23,044 QuickCal[301]: SecOSStatusWith error:[-34018] L’opération n’a pas pu s’achever. (OSStatus erreur -34018 - Remote error : The operation couldn‚Äôt be completed. (OSStatus error -34018 - client has neither application-identifier nor keychain-access-groups entitlements))

16/02/2014 10:18:40,355 PluginProcess[20479]: CoreText performance note: Client called CTFontCreateWithName() using name "Arial Unicode MS" and got font with PostScript name "ArialUnicodeMS". For best performance, only use PostScript names when calling this API.

16/02/2014 10:18:40,355 PluginProcess[20479]: CoreText performance note: Set a breakpoint on CTFontLogSuboptimalRequest to debug.

16/02/2014 10:18:43,589 PluginProcess[20479]: CoreText performance note: Client called CTFontCreateWithName() using name "Times Roman" and got font with PostScript name "Times-Roman". For best performance, only use PostScript names when calling this API.

16/02/2014 10:20:51,499 ntpd[128]: FREQ state ignoring +0.169437 s

I've foreced quit mail and have this :

-------------

16/02/2014 10:33:36,090 WindowServer[102]: disable_update_timeout: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "Mail" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.

16/02/2014 10:33:37,182 Mail[20582]: Unable to find message to restore.

16/02/2014 10:33:37,448 com.apple.SecurityServer[15]: Killing auth hosts

16/02/2014 10:33:37,448 com.apple.SecurityServer[15]: Session 100292 destroyed

16/02/2014 10:33:37,453 com.apple.SecurityServer[15]: Session 100296 created

16/02/2014 10:33:37,570 WindowServer[102]: common_reenable_update: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "Mail" after 2.48 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds)

16/02/2014 10:33:42,083 spindump[20562]: Saved hang report for Mail version 7.1 (1827) to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Mail_2014-02-16-103341_iMac-de-Gilles.hang

16/02/2014 10:33:45,788 Mail[20582]: Could not create query for expression ((null)) && (kMDItemContentType == 'com.apple.mail.emlx')

This time it took "only" 3 minutes to be able to finish typing y address.

(the one before, I was never able, so I forced quit).

Thanks for yor help,

Gilles

Feb 16, 2014 2:01 PM in response to Gilles

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. You must hold down the shift key twice: once when you boot, and again when you log in.

Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a Fusion Drive or a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Feb 18, 2014 1:42 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc.

Well, no luck, it did not work even in safe mode.

It's funny, but when I start typing my name, it autofills, If I just press enter, it's ok.

It looks like the second choice is causing the problem (I have several email addresses in my account, for pro, perso...).

The 2nd choice, is only my first name + second name.

Don't know where it comes from.

But for sure, everytime I select it, Apple mail hangs up.

Any other idea ?

Feb 19, 2014 7:38 AM in response to Gilles

Please test after taking each of the following steps.

Step 1

Back up all data.

Triple-click anywhere in the line of text below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.AddressBookSourceSync

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Move the selected item to the Trash.

Log out, log back in, and test. If there's no change, go to the next step.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V). You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Step 2

If you use iCloud, uncheck the box marked Contacts in the iCloud preference pane. Press return to confirm, or click Keep on Mac in the dialog that opens.

If you synchronize contacts with any other network service, disable that synchronization in the Internet Accounts preference pane.

Step 3

From the list of groups on the left side of the Contacts window, select All On My Mac. If that group doesn't exist or is empty, skip this step. Otherwise, from the menu bar, select

File Export... Export vCard

Save the exported contacts to the Desktop.

Step 4

Quit Contacts. Reveal the following item in the Finder as you did in Step 1:

~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook

Move the selected folder to the Desktop, leaving the window open for now.

Step 5

Launch Contacts. Your contacts will be gone. If you took Step 3, then double-click the file you created in that step and confirm that you want to import from it. Your contacts will reappear.

Step 6

If you took Step 2, reverse it. Test. If the issue is resolved, delete the AddressBook folder and the vCard file on the Desktop and close the open folder window.

Otherwise, quit Contacts again and put the AddressBook folder back where it was, overwriting the newer one that will have been created in its place. Post your results.

Appel mail - freeze on recipient selection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.