Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Basic 2012 MacBook Pro+27 or 21 inch Apple Display for graphic intensive apps?

Hey community! this is VitoF3D´s very first post into the Apple Community.

Asking for advice from seasoned -Mac user- architectural renderers, 3d modelers and media artists... or anyone else who can help.

I recently bought a new 2012 Macbook Pro (I say brand new because they had it -in its box- in stock for a year at a very known, -authorized reseller- retail store in Philladelphia) and I would like to get some advice about it.

I am an architect and designer, I work with intensive 3D models, 2D images and plans, 2D 3D animation, sound and video software, mostly well known and mainstream art apps. Sometimes I need to have two or three of these apps open, handling complex models while e-mailing or browsing the web.

I know the Macbook Pro can handle it because I already, (With lots of pacience and a very directed desk fan) have done it with a good old 2007 white Mac Book, that faithfully have delivered the best of renders! Nevertheless, all standards have raised, resolutions, formats and app demands have risen also. (For example I have never worked in HD or Full HD).

Like two years ago I also bought from a friend a late 2011 iMac, with a 27" display, but at the time I found I could not use the intensive apps or work at large because the video card overheated to the point that one day it melted! I had to look for a replacement and now it works again, but I always have to keep in mind that that texting, reading, surfing the web and e-mailing is all that it can handle.

SO THE QUESTION IS: Can my new basic 2012 MacBook Pro's Video Card handle the intensive 3D and 2D work of Architecture, Image Editing and Video Editing if I attach a 27" Thunderbolt or Cinema Display to it?

Do you think it is likely the images are going to jag, the graphic card will melt or the machine would suddenly shut down to protect itself if I just move an Open GL 3D Graphic?

What about a 21 inch? Would it be better?

I really need this advice because I recently was hired for a very demanding job that can rise the bar in everything and I think my performance will boost if I count on more pixels, but the investment in the display is considerable.

Thanks for reading all this!🙂

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 8 gb ram, intel hd graphics 4000 M

Posted on Feb 15, 2014 1:39 AM

9 replies

Feb 15, 2014 3:05 AM in response to VitoF3D

Unfortunately the Intel 4000 just isn't going to cut it for rendering - it's an extremely lightweight GPU. To be honest, I wouldn't spend too much money on a good display for it as it's going to be a real strain on the GPU to run the display and ask any sort of rendering (I know that the 3D rendering I'm accustomed to - in Photoshop - simply wouldn't be an option with the Intel 4000, only).

Sorry,

Clinton

Feb 15, 2014 3:18 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Ok. Got it. So, in your opinion, at least with an Intel 4000 I could render some good architecture, global illumination, a couple hundread of poligons open gl, still renders and do some photoshop just with the built in display (not a retina)?

And another thing, is the GPU as upgradable as ram memory in a MacBook Pro?

Thank you again for all your answers and your patience.

Feb 15, 2014 3:48 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Well... Let me ask a final question (just before you break my heart... he he )

I checked the video card of my good old 2007 white MacBook and it turs to be an Envidia GeForce 9400 256MB.

I have done pretty good works whith it (At least to my standards) trying to keep it cool with fans and taking good care of it. In you view, how an Intel 4000 works compared with a GeForce 9400 256MB?

How do I know how much memory is dedicated to video in the Intel 4000?

Boy! Now I know why you earn your points....😉

Feb 15, 2014 3:54 AM in response to VitoF3D

Oh, yeah, the Intel 4000 will perform much better than what your MacBook GPU can provide!

I don't quite recall what the maximum amount of VRAM the 4000 can use, but it uses RAM from the logic board and uses a minimum of 384MB if you only have 4GB of RAM but up to 512MB (maximum, I believe) if you've 8-16GB installed (and, yes, your model can use up to 16GB of RAM).

So, compared with your MacBook, you should be able to accomplish even more - and more quickly - with your computer tricked out with at least 8GB of RAM.

Clinton

Feb 15, 2014 4:22 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Ok, now I get it. Look, the thing is that I was a absolute autocad user (sorry if it sounds addy, it isn't) and I loved Macs but I couldn't use them for work, so I was forced to used PC's for a long period of time in my life. So I was used to the logic and the technology of comparing PC's.

Once AutoCad for Mac was released I tried to progressively turn all my equipment to macs. But I could not quite understand their technology and the way they performed compared with the tech specs they displayed. So I was cautious and did not change everything in a day. Also it was difficult for me to choose an appropriate equipment for my needs. I even still have a PC for some things. (Mac lovers, forgive me)

And both performances are not comparable due to differences in architecture and components and overall technology. I certainly have to study more about new mac technology before I spend again a substantial amount of money in apple technology.

Now, about the White MacBook, I've done wonders with it, using desk fans and being very recursive,intelligently economical in the use of poligons, stocastic samples, minimum resolutions and compressions of all kinds.

So what you finnally tell me is a breeze of fresh air.

I understand a little more the logic of how macs work.

Maybe you could recomend a site or link where ex-PC users can learn more about Apple Mac Technology concearning tech specs, performance, compatibilities... etc...

I think I'll enjoy my upgrade. Allthogh I know that I will eventually have to turn super pro with a Mac Pro and a good pair of displays, i have to do it progressively. But for now, some good jobs have to come in for that. Hopefully the day will come.

Meanwhile, I thank you deeply for your enlightening answers.

Two thumbs up and every star available.

Basic 2012 MacBook Pro+27 or 21 inch Apple Display for graphic intensive apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.