Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't launch Adobe Reader 11.0.06: 'An internal error occurred'

Yesterday I purchased a highly recommended e-book ('Rally All Around') which is available by download. Double clicking on its file brought up a message that I needed a newer version of Adobe Reader; this introductory message screen linked me directly to 11.0.06 on the Adobe site, which I downloaded and installed. Unfortunately, this application refuses to launch: irrespective of whether I try to launch it directly, from the Applications Folder, or by double clicking the new e-book file, I receive the 'An internal error occurred' error message and the program shuts down. I have followed the advice provided in various forums for the same error code and previous versions of Reader and OSX: I deleted all existing versions of the application as well as the Adobe Folder in my Library (manually at first, and then using AppZapper), then attempted to reinstall. I've also used 'Get Info' to ensure I have the required read/write permissions on the application, and the Adobe Library Folder. I've tried restarting in Safe Mode -- to no avail. Unfortunately now I have lost the ability to open any PDF file at all (and countless hours, trying to troubleshoot the problem)! I am running Mac OS X 10.9.1 on an Intel Core i5. The console report is as follows:

15/02/2014 9:28:16.724 pm com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[150]: (com.adobe.Reader.10768[613]) Exited abnormally: Interrupt: 2

I'd be grateful for help, and advice, if you care to share. I'd like to count to 10 and try and fix this, before succumbing to the temptation to send a howler to the publisher.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Adobe Reader

Posted on Feb 15, 2014 3:43 AM

3 replies

Jun 11, 2014 11:21 AM in response to gfkiii

I did eventually solve it, and I think it was using this advice I received on the Adobe Forums:

The error that you are facing might be due the reason that the user logged in doesn't have permissions to access the following directory: "~/Library/Application Support/Adobe". Can you please try the following steps with the user account in which you are facing the error:

1. Remove the Adobe Reader from Applications directory by moving it to Trash.

2. Now delete the following directory: "~/Library/Application Support/Adobe". Please note that this path is for the Library folder present inside the user directory that you are currently logged in.

3. Restart the machine.

4. Now re-install Adobe Reader XI.

Can't launch Adobe Reader 11.0.06: 'An internal error occurred'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.