You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Active Directory weirdness

We've got a mix of iMac G5 and PowerMac G5 machines running on a Windows 2003 network. They were bound to the domain and everything was working splendidly as far as AD is concered. We retired our old Primary Domain Controller; since then, we're unable to log into a Mac with an Active Directory. If we log in with a local account, we can browse the internet, see all network resources...we can even connect to shares on Windows PCs/Servers and authenticate using AD accounts. If we try to unbind, we get an "unable to access domain controller" error. Forcing the unbind works, but trying to re-bind generates the same "unable to access domain controller" error. I've tried it on 10.4.4, 10.4.5 and 10.4.7 with the same results. I've wiped clean and installed Tiger fresh on a machine, I've even moved to a couple different locations just to eliminate a switch or fiber connection as the culprit. None of this made a difference.

I've gone over the new PDC with a fine-toothed comb, and made some policy changes based on some stuff I read at macwindows.com, but all to no avail. Any ideas what might be the sticking point? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

iMac G5 & PowerMac G5 Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Aug 7, 2006 10:46 AM

2 replies

Active Directory weirdness

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.