Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time capsule keeps shutting down

Why does the time capsule keep shutting down.

I cannot use it for the internet. Icna connect straight to my mac

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Feb 15, 2014 5:00 AM

5 replies

Feb 16, 2014 1:34 AM in response to crwestwood

Should be ok.

1. Downgrade the firmware if you are running 7.6.4 .. I do not think it is solid.. use 7.6.1

To down grade hold down the option key whilst you click version number.

User uploaded file

2. Factory reset.

Universal Factory Reset.. any model TC or AE.

Unplug your TC/AE from power or turn off at the power point.

Hold in reset. and power the TC/AE back on.. all without releasing reset and keep holding in for about 10sec. (this is often difficult without a 2nd person or a 3rd arm).

Release it when the status light flashes rapidly. If it doesn’t flash rapidly you have missed it and try again.

Note..

Be Gentle! Feel the switch click on. It has a positive feel.. add no more pressure after that.

TC/AE will reboot after a couple of minutes with default factory settings and will wipe out previous configurations of the router.

No files are deleted on the hard disk in a TC.. No reset of the TC deletes files.. to do that you use erase from the airport utility.

3. Use all SMB names.. this is most important for Mavericks but helps every OS.

Names that apple wizard leads you to use look like.

Fred Blog's Airport Time Capsule

with wireless names even worse.

This breaks fundamental naming rules for networks. SMB is now default in Mavericks.. but the names are still as bad.

All names must be less than 20 characters.. <10 is great.

No spaces.

Pure alphanumeric.

4. Test with ethernet if the problem is wireless. Test local lan if the problem is WAN.

Often the ethernet cords go bad and the connection modem to the TC can get dodgy caused by that 7.6.4 firmware.. it can help to set the WAN port speed.. only possible though on v5 utility.

Or use a crossover cable or a switch to force things to 100mbit.

5. No luck the TC could be faulty.. at less than a year old it is under warranty .. return it for testing and replacement if required.

Jul 28, 2015 1:26 AM in response to crwestwood

G'day from Tasmania

I had the same problem, driving me crazy. I tweaked the Airport utility and even opened up the TC etc etc. Finally I gave up and removed the TC from my work area., ready to cannibalize the 500GB hard drive. I took it's power cable from my power board and plugged it in to its own power socket in my "workshop". Bingo, it has run 24hrs without closing down. I can assume the slight dips of voltage on a power board (with a fair load of external HDs & two computers) is the cause of a TC safety shutdown. It is detected by this circuit - http://i.stack.imgur.com/HbA9p.jpg

Perhaps that is what has been blamed for overheating since this unit was marketed.

Palya

Paddy

time capsule keeps shutting down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.