Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Mavericks forgets mouse speed settings?

Hi out there,

Mavericks forgets my mouse settings. I've already tried PRAM reset, login as admin and deleting mouse pref files. None of these options fixed the problem. Any hints?

I am using a Mac mini 2012 under Mavericks with a Mighty Mouse.

Thanks in advance!

OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 15, 2014 5:28 AM

2 replies

Feb 15, 2014 5:57 AM in response to HaukeHaien

The old "delete the .plist file and restart" trick doesn't work anymore, because Mavericks handles .plist files differently than previous versions of OSX- they are now cached.

So if you just delete the .plist file, it doesn't work, because the cached version is still active.

My theory is that the .plist file in ~/Library/Preferences is like a template, and still should be good, because the one in the cache is the one that's corrupted.

I've been looking for a fix for this, and I haven't found a clear answer yet.

There are evidently two issues that are relevant: a "defaults" Terminal command to manually write a new .plist file into the cache, and the background cfprefsd process. See How to manually edit defaults plist files in Mavericks | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews and How to tackle defaults not sticking in Mavericks | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

So you might need to stop the cfprefsd process in Activity monitor, then do the defaults command in Terminal:

defaults read com.apple.(whatever the mouse.plist file is).

Another thing to try would be to just reinstall Mavericks over your current installation- that would probably work.

Feb 24, 2014 9:57 AM in response to arthur

Hi Arthur,

thanks for your solution suggestion. I've stopped the cfprefsd process and started the defaults command manually. As a result my Mac mini could not wake up my EIZO screen after returning from standby - a behaviour I've experienced with my Mac Book Pro in clamshell mode as well.

Regarding the initial problem with mouse settings I must say that the trick did not work for me. The Mac keeps on forgetting its settings in at least 5 of 10 system starts.

Re-installing Mavericks over my existing system is no option for me. I am a big fan of clean installs - and the next one might be a downgrade to Mountain Lion.

Why does Mavericks forgets mouse speed settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.