Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

does placing movies in a slideshow distort the music?

Hello to all!

Helped in an earlier thread [ Re: Running iDVD without menu ] in which I had already participated, I had made a DVD of 9 song videos which could be played continuously. This continuous play had been achieved by placing movies in the slideshow section of the project.

Though the output of the video content has been good, I have found that there has crept in a mild sound distortion in all of the songs, but in one particular movie, the sound distortion was very huge.

FYI, when I had placed the individual nine movies as individual movies [add movie option], both video and audio output has been excellent.

Many queries are doing the rounds in my heart: what is the reason for this? The total duration of the project is just under 50 minutes. Is it because I have placed in more than the acceptable data into a single slideshow that has been the cause? Any pointers related to the cause and the possible ways to overcome this problem will be lapped up eagerly!

Dr. Somanna

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), garage band, FCPX:10.0.9 version

Posted on Feb 15, 2014 7:21 AM

14 replies

Feb 16, 2014 1:53 AM in response to somanna

Hi Dr. Somanna

I've tried this approach too - and got a severely distorted audio.

Lot's of friends in this forum tried to duplicate the situation - but were happy with their result. So I took a good look at the movies and audio I used - and when adjusting down the sound level. All was very well indeed.

But now I do not use this way - I create a full project in FinalCut Pro 6 and here I can very exactly adjust audio to match all way trough.

If I need the "Play All" function - or can also be related to "Play one Chapter" at a time. Then I fake this by adding x2 content. One full movie + all Chapters as individual movies.

and as Your movie is 50 minutes - using Pro Quality encoding (max 120 min) - You can fit this nicely onto a DVD still keeping a very high quality.

Good Luck - Yours Bengt W

Feb 16, 2014 4:10 AM in response to Bengt Wärleby

Hello Mr. Bengt Warleby, thanks for your reply.

Bengt Wärleby wrote:

I've tried this approach too - and got a severely distorted audio.

Lot's of friends in this forum tried to duplicate the situation - but were happy with their result. So I took a good look at the movies and audio I used - and when adjusting down the sound level. All was very well indeed.

Am I to infer that one can have success by taking care of the audio levels? If that were so, then in my case I guess that in almost all the nine movies the levels were of a mildly higher than 'normal' range, but in one particular movie, the level of distortion was just unacceptable. As all of these projects are yet 'alive' in FVPX, perhaps bringing down their levels would be 'easier' for me.

But now I do not use this way - I create a full project in FinalCut Pro 6 and here I can very exactly adjust audio to match all way trough.

In my case, all the 9 song videos have different contents and the audio especially have their own effects applied. To add up all these individual projects upon the timeline and make them 'one' could be done, but making them have a single audio volume level would affect the individual videos...hope you understand.

If I need the "Play All" function - or can also be related to "Play one Chapter" at a time. Then I fake this by adding x2 content. One full movie + all Chapters as individual movies.

Pray, I do not understand this process you are describing above.

and as Your movie is 50 minutes - using Pro Quality encoding (max 120 min) - You can fit this nicely onto a DVD still keeping a very high quality.

I have understood one thing: I need to have professional quality! I had made a DVD using Toast. I had chosen the top quality it offers and had the 'play continuously' box checked. It did give me a 'good' DVD for the most part. The video was good for most of the part and the audio was good throughout. The parts of the video which were 'bad' were those which had 'fast movements'. This 'fast' section was actually not fast per se, but I had retimed the video clip to be very fast than 'normal'. It was at this place that Toast could not be given the 'toast'!

Now, this has been going on in my mind: can I, with iDVD, Toast, or any other burner, burn two disk images into a DVD at one go? Let me explain, just as you can add movies or audios to your 'burn menu' can we, put in two disk images into a 'burn menu'? Smile or laugh, but please answer me!😁😝

Dr. Somanna

Feb 16, 2014 9:07 AM in response to somanna

In my case, all the 9 song videos have different contents and the audio especially have their own effects applied. To add up all these individual projects upon the timeline and make them 'one' could be done, but making them have a single audio volume level would affect the individual videos...hope you understand.

With Quicktime Pro it's very easy to join movie clips together with Quicktime Player 7 to create a single file. This joining should not affect the audio and give you the full 9 clips as a sinle movie without having to go the slideshow route.

You may be able to join the file files with QT Player 7 without having the QT Pro license. Worth a try.

OT

Feb 16, 2014 9:36 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks Mr. Toad. Shall look up whether QT Player 7 is available for free download. My movies have been exported at full resolution as Proress 422 QT movies. Hope your suggestion works.

FYI, I do have Quicktime player on my Mac, having this: Version 10.3 (727.1). Would this allow me to join up the different movies?

Waiting for guidance.

Regards.

Have a great day!

Dr. Somanna

Feb 16, 2014 10:13 AM in response to Old Toad

I need to hand you the trophy Mr. Toad! I have been able to do the joining of the 9 videos in my QT player itself and the process of export is currently on...would be taking under 30 minutes. I feel the excitement that you have given me the right guidance. Shall wait till my DVD is done and when, after taking a very, very deep inbreath, I will salute you with a loud 'hip hip hooray!'

Thank you Mr. Toad.

Dr. Somanna

Message was edited by: somanna

Feb 16, 2014 10:45 AM in response to Old Toad

I was typing away my last reply when your letter arrived. Guess there is no need for QT Player 7. This 10th version of QT perhaps does not contain the term 'MERGE' which perhaps was used in earlier versions. After opening the QT, I first opened the first movie of my project. Then under the EDIT menu I had to choose first 'add clip, and later ''add clip to end of selection' and thus I was able to place all the 9 movies upon the [?] timeline that opened up at the lower end of the QT Player. I then clicked the share button and am now exporting.

HELLO THERE! The merge has taken place but the resulting movie was a very small 3.89 GB! When I looked up the information about this exported file, I found it to be AAC, H264😟.

Under the export options, I had clicked upon 1080. Was I wrong in doing so? Shall go back and see if export as Prores 422 is availabe!.........No! Does not have that option!

Now Mr Toad, I have MPEG Streamclip. Will that help? I have been reading this thread from whicj I have picked up the idea that stramclip may help [how do I join clips in QT X?]

Am minded to expore the possibility of having all the videos merged with MPEG streamclip.

Thanks.

Message was edited by: somanna

Feb 16, 2014 12:21 PM in response to Old Toad

Pray, I do not understand this process you are describing above.

I may be anticipated things - I do too often.

You put Your movies into a SlideShow project in iDVD. The reason to do this is in my opinion to get the "Play All" function (or can also be named "Play just one Chapter at a time" function - the other side of the same process)

And I don't know about - why one would go this way if that was not the object of the task wanted.

That's why - I flew away into these thoughts.

Then - if this is not the idea - Then just drop the movies into iDVD Menu window in the Order That You want them to be presented in the iDVD Menu window. (Order can not be altered else than re-do and now introduce them in the right sequence)

And I think (My Very own thoughts) that the Audio is handled better (easier) this way than via a SlideShow project. But when tried and re-adjusted All Movie sequences Audio to a slightly less level - the final DVD played as I wanted it to do.

No I've not used Prores 422 or 1080i/p - I'm in stone-age and love my miniDV (streamingDV) quality and feels fine about that. (as DVD can not do anything better than Interlaced SD-Video quality - it's the standard for DVDs whatever program used)

Yours trying to be of help - Bengt W

Feb 17, 2014 12:04 AM in response to Bengt Wärleby

Hello again Mr. Bengt Warleby! I have got great pleasure in reading your reply, though I had to read it very carefully to understand. Before moving ahead in this thread, let me state what I have understood to be the gist of your above post, and how I should go about to get 'more than my need'!

1] Firstly adjust audio levels in FCPX for all the movies, by this I understand, tone down the levels a bit, and then place all these movies [in the order I want them to play] in a slideshow.

2] Place once again all the movies, in their specified order, in the iDVD menu window.

The DVD brought out in this manner will allow one to 'have the cake and also eat it too'! When needed, one can click upon the slideshow button to have the entire movie play from end to end, or, using the menu button, to see the movies of one desire one by one. Right?

Mr. Bengt, your mentioning of you being in the stone age differs vastly from what opinion I have developed towards your expertise in your field of activity. Not only me, but Mr. Toad also has a great regard for your knowledge in these matters. I have had virtually nil knowledge in all these video related matters, being a medical doctor by profession. I have started learning about all this stuff since only two years. This being so, I need to tell you: if you consider yourself to be in the stone age, which is the age to which I should put myself into?😁

Have a great day!

Regards and take care.

Dr. Somanna

Feb 17, 2014 1:24 AM in response to Bengt Wärleby

Hello Mr. Bengt Warleby,

Your above post took me by surprise. Are you too in the medical profession?

Have done my MBBS and into private practice since 1980.

I am afraid that there are cobwebs in plenty in my BSD regarding Cytology.

My mail ID is in my profile and I will be most happy to be in touch with you.

Actually I googled your name to know about you if it were possible...found your name in several Apple forum posts. There were many other 'stars' who respond to the name : Bengt Warleby! You have not mentioned your mail ID in your profile either.

Yours

Dr. Somanna

Feb 17, 2014 7:24 AM in response to Bengt Wärleby

Hello Mr. Bengt Warleby!

I am unaware of this secrecy pertaining to one's email ID. I had gone to my profile and have found no mail-box there. Does one have to create one?

Nowadays, as mentioned in my above post, I am more into video making for spiritual and social causes.

Would like you to view this video which I have uploaded if your time permits, of course.

http://youtu.be/RNDpSAjEAIA

Regards, take care, and have a nice day.

Dr. Somanna

does placing movies in a slideshow distort the music?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.