Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't connect to legacy Escient Fireball media server.

Hey all,

I have an old Escient Fireball E2-100 media server. I know the company has gone out of business and is no longer supporting their products. In their old document they explain how to connect via OSX:

http://www.escient.com/support/supportdocuments/FB_MacOSXIntegration.pdf

I believe the issue I'm having is this:

6. Depending on your network configuration, you may be prompted for a

username/password. If so, just leave it blank and click OK. There are no usernames or

passwords to enter for connecting to your FireBall server.

This is pre "Guest" accounts, and there's no way to leave the Name & Password blank in OSX connecting to a server that I can determine.

I can map a network drive to the Fireball with my Windows PC, so I know it is allowing connections.

Anyone know of a workaround to connect to a server with a blank username and password?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 15, 2014 7:20 AM

12 replies

Aug 14, 2017 6:29 AM in response to Kaviel

When I transfer music files into the Import folder of the Escient Fireball using a Windows 7 notebook, the music plays with occasional hickups. This doesn't happen when using my old Windows XP notebook for the transfer. A year ago I could put music one the Escient using my MacBook Pro, but with the new OS now it gives immediately an error when trying to put something in the Input folder using the Mac.

So I think it's time for a new music server.....

Feb 15, 2014 11:14 AM in response to BDAqua

There are two server connection options in OSX:

1) Sign in as a "Guest" with no login credentials

This server predates "Guest" even being an option on Windows or Mac, so it won't work.

or

2) Sign in with a Name & Password

There is no way to set up a username/password login on the media server.

The only way to connect is with a blank/blank Name & Password. This apparently used to be an option in OSX but is no longer allowable. (you're forced to enter at least 1 character)

Mar 15, 2014 1:52 PM in response to Kaviel

Did you ever get this question answered. I am attempting to map the fireball to my mac, just to get the music of of it. I used to hace a PC and I was a wiz at connecting it to PCs with Import and content. I got the Gui to show up on Chrome but not safari. Any assistance that you/yall cangice would be great reguarding mapping the the drives and making iTunes have the availible content to play through iTunes.

Imac 10.9.2

iTunes 11.1.5

Software OS X 10.9.2

Escient 4.2.5.6

Thank you!

Can't connect to legacy Escient Fireball media server.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.