Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Had a warning during email on PowerBookG4 that I might be connecting with a web site pretending to be web.adblade etc. I don't know how to get out of that problem.

Concerned about PowerBook G4 (an older laptop) and email. Recently installed wi-Fi and did email for the first time on this lap top. During email functions (such as pressing Spam button to see what was listed) I got a warning that I might be connecting to a web site pretending to be web.adblade At first I continued, but then on repeat of same warning, I canceled the function. Does anyone know how to correct this? Is it a virus? I have stpped using email on the lap top for now but it is one reason I got Wi-fi. Thanks for any help. Also during another function, emails vanished perhaps because of mistakenly opening old Entourage when email was being used via comast.net. Not sure if it's connected, but seemed odd.

PowerBook, PowerBook G4 refurb

Posted on Feb 15, 2014 7:56 AM

3 replies

Mar 1, 2014 4:17 PM in response to njscribe

What eMail Service Provider are you using? Web.Adblade sounds bad. Look at the Name.

Yes. Macs do get Viruses. That could be a Virus.

Here's a 3 ways to correct this:

1. Reset your ENTIRE Mail Account. To do this, Go to File, and Then Preferences, and Then go to your eMail Account and DELETE it.

Add your eMail Account back and try it again. If you still get that Message,

2. Keep Clicking Continue. If you get your eMail and no slow Mac, You're fine. If your Mac Slows down, The Server is Infected and your Mac is connected to a Server that has a virus.

3. Here's Way 3. This is a little Extreme. Back up ALL of your Data to a flash drive. Not Time Machine. That would keep the Malware. (If you're running Mac OS 10.5 for the Time Machine Feature.)

Then, ERASE your Powerbook and Reinstall Mac OS X.

Respond if you have Question.

- Clarisworks

Mar 1, 2014 4:35 PM in response to njscribe

For general browsing on an older powerPC Mac, you'd need to get a supported browser, one that sees current or recent updates for security reasons; so that is one thing. You could get and install anything from the internet.

But you probably do not have a virus.

tech guides

http://www.thesafemac.com/tech-guides/

adware removal guide

http://www.thesafemac.com/arg/

A good browser for a powerPC computer running up to 10.5.8, is TenFourFox. Or iCab. Or SeaMonkeyPPC. With some of these you can set up an email account, & those may be more secure than older Mac Mail. You can also be sure the settings in a browser or email client application do not automatically open attachments or downloads, until you determine what they are through investigation.

If you got an idea to download free applications from untrustworthy sites, or wanted to clean up your mac, etc using some dubious software, then an 'adware' may be installed. Some kinds of items you may seek to download or that were attachments on an email, can be dealt with in several ways. Safe browsing, near paranoid use of email, and if you use a web-based email, use a secure browser to visit it, login online, and do not have unnecessary cookies or features set in the browser.

What OS X version does your PowerBook have running?

What are you using for a web browser? Safari is unsupported.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Had a warning during email on PowerBookG4 that I might be connecting with a web site pretending to be web.adblade etc. I don't know how to get out of that problem.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.