Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband 10 and Digidesign 002 will not play nice...Please help!

Back Story:

I have a 2008 iMac with upgraded RAM. It has been working perfectly, er, IS working perfectly. No need to upgrade yet. I am running Mountain Lion, and ProTools 8 through a Digidesign 002rack. Everything is fat and happy.

One day a couple of months ago...I was happily plunking away doing whatever, and I get the prompt to upgrade to mavericks. I think to myself, this should be a good way to make sure my 5 year old computer looks and feels brand new. I run down the list o software I use thinking if there will be any compatibility issues...itunes, safari, firefox, word, excel...hmm, should be fine. so I upgrade.

Mavericks is great! Looks cool, has a few new features to sync with my ipad and iphone. Life is good.

I wake up in the middle of the night with a great song idea (usually the good stuff comes to me while I'm sleeping). I fire up the rig and...wait what? ProTools won't launch. I do a quick google and find that PT will not yet work with Mavericks. Ok, that's fine, I can wait until they fix that.

Few weeks later, I hear they've fixed it! Woohoo! Oh, hmm, Avid has only fixed it for the newest version of ProTools, PT11. That's $600. Ok, well, I have a decent job, I take great pride in my music, and it makes me happy...so...ok, I'll drop the 6 bills and upgrade to the new version of PT.

When on the Digi site, looking at compatibility...I see that my 2008 iMac with the intel core 2 duo processor will not work with PT11.

Hmm. Ok, now what? Downgrade back to Mountain Lion? Apple won't let you do that, and I do not have a time machine backup.

Last ditch attempt...I try to install my Snow Leopard operating system from a disc that I still have. Nope. Installer not compatible.

Argh. So now I'm saving for a new computer, so I can run the new version of ProTools...replacing a perfectly working machine for absolutely no reason. This is frustrating. Until I save the money (it probably makes sense at this point to wait until the newest 2014 iMac comes out in the fall...therefore futureproofing myself as much as possible), I figure I'm stuck with Garageband until then. So I download the newest version of GB, GB10 from the app store.

I fire up the 002, go to the preferences in GB and select the 002 for input/output, plug in the guitar and...nothing. no sound, no recognition of input. As a test, I throw in a drum loop, and no sound for output either.

I go into audio/midi utility, 002 is selected. My Digi core audio manager says the 002 is connected. If I change the GB preferences to "built in output," the drum loop comes through loud and clear.

I am so totally out of ideas, and so completely frustrated at my whole situation, that I am turning to the general public to help me for the first time ever. I am willing to try anything, in any configuration, to make my freakin' guitar plug into my freakin' computer and record whatever semblence of notes I am calling a song.

This should not be too much to ask given the thousands of dollars worth of equipment I have sitting on my desk.

AAAAARRRRRGGHHH!!! Please Help!

Ben

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Feb 15, 2014 10:02 AM

There are no replies.

Garageband 10 and Digidesign 002 will not play nice...Please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.