Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my project from imovie 9.0.9 won't work on the new imovie 10.0.1. please help!

i saved my imovie project (ver 9.0.9) into my hard drive. When I open the hard drive on my retina macbook (imovie ver 10.0.1) , my project shows as a folder and not a file. But when i open it on my sisters macbook pro (not retina) , it shows the project. Is there any way to save the project on my sister's macbook so that it is compatible with retina's imovie 10.0.1??

Please help!

iMovie '11

Posted on Feb 15, 2014 10:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2014 10:58 AM

iMovie 10 has a different storage system to iMovie 9. iMovie 9 has imovie projects and iMovie Events folders, wheras iMovie 10 uses library packages. You can upgrade iMovie 9 projects and events to iMovie 10 but from then on you any further edits you do will only be available in the iMovie version you did the edits on.

If you have 2 machines both using imovie 10, it is possible to copy libraries from one to the other, provided you consolidate media first (so that everything is copied to the library rather than linked. See: http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.0/#mov882dee351

Retina or non-retina is irrelevant.

Geoff.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2014 10:58 AM in response to panda01_08

iMovie 10 has a different storage system to iMovie 9. iMovie 9 has imovie projects and iMovie Events folders, wheras iMovie 10 uses library packages. You can upgrade iMovie 9 projects and events to iMovie 10 but from then on you any further edits you do will only be available in the iMovie version you did the edits on.

If you have 2 machines both using imovie 10, it is possible to copy libraries from one to the other, provided you consolidate media first (so that everything is copied to the library rather than linked. See: http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.0/#mov882dee351

Retina or non-retina is irrelevant.

Geoff.

Feb 17, 2014 8:19 AM in response to panda01_08

Glad to have helped.

You only need to upgrade to Mavericks if you want to use iMovie 10. As far as I believe the programs you mention work OK in Mavericks but I don't myself use any of them. I think Mavericks is better than Lion but Snow Leopard was the best (and I have set things up so can still boot into SL from a second boot partition when I need to).

Geoff.

my project from imovie 9.0.9 won't work on the new imovie 10.0.1. please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.