Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing-up iPhoto

I want to back-up my iPhoto Library to a disk or stick. But it is 79gb; too big to fit. Can it be divided up?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Feb 15, 2014 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2014 11:38 AM

Why not use a larger disk? Even 1 TB disks are now pocket sized.

You can split iPhoto libraries with iPhoto Library Manager, but splitting a library makes it less useful.

14 replies

Feb 15, 2014 11:42 AM in response to marlern

You can't split up an iPhoto Library with the Finder, only as léonie has suggested, with iPLM. There are extenal hard drives that are about the size of a mouse (computer type that is) that can be used for backing up your iPhoto Library as well as other important files, i.e. the iTunes library and other documents. This is one that I've used: OWC Mercury On-The-Go Pro USB 3.0 & 2.0 / FireWire 800, and 2.5" SATA Portable External Hard Drive & SSD

OT

Feb 16, 2014 6:04 AM in response to clodo9

That will save partial libraries (in earlier iPhoto versions, but not in the current iPhoto 9.51). Only, it will not backup the librarie as it is, and DVDs are not as reliable as a backup as a disk. They will get corrupted over time, and you have to check them regularly, if they are still readable.

And the current iPhoto version does not support the sharing of events as libries, you can only export the eduted versions or the originals, but not your library.

Feb 16, 2014 5:13 PM in response to marlern

marlern shows a 10.6 OS, which should work with the "Share - Burn" method.

DVDs are a much underestimated way of backing up data, and even on an archival sense.

Their price, for one, allows you to follow a very basic principle of archiving: create 3 backups ( ! ) of anything you would REALLY hate losing ( at least one of these backups being in another location: friend, bank, etc. ).

The lifespan of a dvd ( of a respected manufacturer, of course ) must also not be underestimated ( how many of our old cds and dvds have failed ? ). On the other hand, what's the lifespan of an external disk ? ( especially if it falls down ? ).

Feb 16, 2014 10:26 PM in response to clodo9

Hard disks also allow you the same "basic principle of archiving". There's nothing to stop you having three back up devices, one stored off site, which is exactly what I do. More importantly, optical media is rapidly going the way of the floppy disk and the zip drive. More and more machines are released without an internal drive and in five years it will be hard to find one that has such a thing. Currrent and future versions of iPhoto will not support reading a DVD so that restores require copying the library to the HD of the machine and then using other software to merge the Libraries. It's investing in a disappearing technology.

Feb 17, 2014 6:39 AM in response to clodo9

I know you like to argue and I'm sure you'll produce something after this one.

1. is not true when you bear in mind that you'll have trouble finding a computer with an optical drive in 10 years. Remember floppy drives were common 10 years ago. Try find an external floppy drive now.

2. There are lots of claims about the life of DVDs. Some claim - literally - 100 years. We're going to have to wait a while to see if this is true. But there are no such guarantees about the disks that most people use - ones bought cheap in supermarkets. They have a significantly high failure rate. Hate to wait 10 years to find out it wasn't true.

3. They may still do, but will they in a year's time or two year's time when they recognise all the issues that I mention and you fail to address - like the absence of DVD drives, the fact the iPhoto doesn't support them anymore and all that.

But argue away. It's a joy to ignore you from this point on.

Feb 17, 2014 7:48 AM in response to clodo9

just curious : in the latest iphoto version, is the "Show in Finder" command still available for a highlighted photo?

Yes, it is available in iPhoto 9.5.1. and is working well.

1- the ratio investment-benefits is still the highest for dvds

2- dvds will still be readable in 10 years

My concern is based on my personal experience and personal workflow with backing up on CDs and DVDs.

When I started with iPhoto, more than 10 years ago, my workflow was to keep all libraries small enough to be able to back them up on a CD, and later DVD. More than half of these media can no longer be read, and I am very happy, that I invested early in backup drives instead of DVDs and CDs.

Archiving the optical disks is tedious, if you have more than a few.

• You have to label them consistently and date them and file them away.
  • You have to check all of them regularly, if they are still readable - a lot of manual work - taking them ouf there cases, running a disk check, filing them again in their cases. If you do not do this, you will discover that they are no longer readable at the most inopportune moment, when you need them most, because your other backups failed and they are your only option.
  • Labelling and indexing is much easier on a large drive - the file system will do it for you. And you can make incremental backups, which will speed up things.

Regards

Léonie

Feb 18, 2014 6:53 AM in response to léonie

léonie,

you are especially right about the cumbersoness of a dvd backup in this particular case: 79 GB would mean about 20 dvds !

But for most of us, a solid dvd backup ( two copies of each ) of only our most important data would amount to just a few disks ( in my case, being a genealogy fan, the few hundred photos i painstakingly scanned and IDed, plus a few hundred documents ( birth, marriage, etc ) fit easily on one disk ).

About the dependability of HD vs dvds, i'll let ken watson put a word in :

Hard drives (and memory sticks) do fail - that's a given (in the last 10 years I've had 2 external HDs and 2 memory stick fail

( http://www.rideau-info.com/photos/index.html )

And for the ones who dare use only one HD:

The risk of using only 1 HD is that if you get a power surge while it is connected to your computer, it could take out all your HDs

Finally about the failing of dvds, i'd be in fact more afraid that the iphoto version ( in my case 9.1.1 ) will not be "readable" by the iphoto version in a not so distant future: this is already a problem from what i see in multiple threads. I do go around that problem by also backing up my files on PC ( my desktop is a mac, my laptop a pc ). Yes, i dare, and recommend it to others.

Feb 18, 2014 6:59 AM in response to Yer_Man

terence,

we both have recommended reading ken watson's " All about digital photos". Here,s what he says about storage and archiving:

CDs and DVDs have a shelf life (20 to 50 years depending on who you believe) which is sufficiently long that when the next inexpensive storage standard comes along (likely high capacity flash memory) you can move your archived images to that new medium. There are a few rules about CDs/DVDs to ensure maximum archival life:

• Use good quality, recognized brand name CDs/DVDs (do not use cheap no-name brands. With CDs, you get what you pay for)
  • Do NOT put paper labels on the CDs/DVDs - label them with a marker specifically designed for CD/DVD labelling.

Store the CDs/DVDs in a dark place, within the temperature and humidity ranges specified by the manufacturer

http://www.rideau-info.com/photos/index.html

Don't just recommend it, terence, read it...🙂

Backing-up iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.