Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing to iMovie: How do I use an external usb mic when recording with the built-in FaceTime HD Camera?

Hello all

I'm scheduled to work with a friend this week; I'm going to help him make a simple audition DVD. I promised him I had the necessary equipment and such.

I was importing from the webcam using iMovie. If I can't use my external mic to record for the video, there is more involved in the editing process. I was hoping to record the video and audio into one package. I'm using the built-in FaceTime webcam on my macbook pro and a ZoomH1 on usb.

I've tried changing the audio in system preferences: input to H1. This works when recording with audacity or anything else. I even changed the input on FaceTime to H1. There aren't any preferences I can find in iMovie to change the input for importing video directly from the webcam.

How do I change the audio input for direct import on iMovie?

OR

Is there something else I can do to have HD video and HQ audio captured in one video file on my macbook pro?

I suppose I can record the video and audio separately but that is usually much more involved. This is why I got this usb microphone lol.

Thanks in advance,

-Seth

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 15, 2014 11:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2014 3:04 PM

I just found using QuickTime Player to record a movie works great. I can easily change the audio input. iMovie is silly. lol

If I missed anything let me know.

Thanks

-Seth

1 reply

Importing to iMovie: How do I use an external usb mic when recording with the built-in FaceTime HD Camera?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.