Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Color Calibration of iMac Really Necessary?

I have a late 2012 iMac which I use for post-processing of photographs. While the colors of the display still appear to be accurate, I was wondering if calibration is really necessary with the iMac? I've read conflicting reports on this topic on non-Apple websites and wanted to get the opinion of others here on the Apple Support Forum.

Thanks!

Chris

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 15, 2014 1:15 PM

7 replies

Feb 23, 2014 1:35 PM in response to OMMBoy

Normally, Color Calibration is used by Professional Design and Photousers that require exact color rendition.

(EXAMPLE) Users that are in magazine design and editing departments where the color has to be perfect, like National Geographic Magazine.

This also holds true across the board for all the Magazine,and Advertisment Industry, where there color in there end product must be perfect.

RGB is used for viewing and editing.

CMYX is also a standard that is used to calibrate color.

Color calibration can be very technical and can be very confusing to the non-professional

Either of the above examples will work good for the non-professional for everyday use.

Cheers

Don

Feb 23, 2014 1:44 PM in response to OMMBoy

Calibration is always necessary if you are sending images to a print service or you are a professional photographer. There is no other way to get accurate colors throughout the editing and printing of those images. Without calibrating your monitor the colors that look fine to you, on your screen, might print or show on some other screen that is calibrated completely different.

Color Calibration of iMac Really Necessary?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.