Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with GPS in iPhone 4s after attempting sync with new MacBook Air

I have an iPhone 4s iOS 6.01 (Virgin Mobile) that I attempted to sync with iTunes on my new MacBook Air after my iPhone gave me a message that it was full on data and couldn't take anymore pictures. I first did a backup of the iPhone on the Air, then, I went to iPhoto and had iPhoto import and remove all of my photos from the iPhone. I then tried to sync the phone, but ultimately cancelled the procedure because itunes gave me some message about syncing with two different computers and I got afraid of losing my data.

At any rate, now my iPhone's Apple Maps and Google Maps applications are not working properly. Specificly, the gps will only give a general radius location, and street view of your current location is not available for turn by turn driving directions, which means I am reduced to viewing the written, step by step directions to find an address instead of being guided, turn by turn, as I drive (along with the voice turn by turn directions). Apple Maps continually displays a "locating gps..." notice at the bottom of app, with the progress circle/wheel perpetually turning.

I have tried:

-- Restarting iPhone

-- Turning off and on "location services"

-- Resetting "network settings"

-- Resetting "location & privacy"

Does anyone have any other ideas? I have tried researching this on the net and can't figure out what may have happened to corrupt my location/gps services, or how to fix them. Some resources have said I need to upgrade to iOS 7 -- but I really, REALLY want to avoid this as I like iOS 6.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Feb 15, 2014 12:33 PM

2 replies

Feb 15, 2014 12:40 PM in response to Jess Pie

You need to transfer your iTunes library from your old computer to your new computer per the instructions included with this link.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1751

If you don't do this per the instructions included with the link, all iTunes content on your iPhone will be erased with the first sync. If you haven't transferred photos from your old computer to your new, any photos on your iPhone that were transferred from your previous computer will be erased when selecting to transfer any photos from your new computer.

Not sure how cancelling a sync with iTunes and importing photos/videos from the Camera Roll with iPhoto could have an effect on your GPS reception and location services.

Feb 17, 2014 7:44 PM in response to Jess Pie

I started having the same problem yesterday. I have iOS 7. Same general radius circle. I too have tried all the steps you tried to no avail. Need help! Can't run without my nike app properly tracking. Wife's phone seems to behaving same. Problem only not as frequent as mine. Must be network issues. I have verizon.

Problems with GPS in iPhone 4s after attempting sync with new MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.