Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Possible to use iPhone on GSM and CDMA networks?

If I have a SIM for one of the iphones that supports versions of both CDMA and GSM, could I actually switch between, say, Verizon in the US and foreign networks wihile overseas?

iPhone 4S

Posted on Feb 15, 2014 1:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2014 1:49 PM

If the iPhone is activated with Verizon, you can ask Verizon to unlock the GSM side of the iPhone to use a GSM carrier's SIM card when traveling internationally outside of the U.S. This does not apply to U.S. GSM carriers such as with AT&T and T-Mobile.

Other than that, the iPhone can roam internationally with GSM carriers outside of the U.S. with Verizon GSM roaming partners in other countries.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2014 1:49 PM in response to Karl38

If the iPhone is activated with Verizon, you can ask Verizon to unlock the GSM side of the iPhone to use a GSM carrier's SIM card when traveling internationally outside of the U.S. This does not apply to U.S. GSM carriers such as with AT&T and T-Mobile.

Other than that, the iPhone can roam internationally with GSM carriers outside of the U.S. with Verizon GSM roaming partners in other countries.

Feb 15, 2014 1:52 PM in response to Karl38

The only phones you can use on Verizon's network are ones that were originally sold as "Verizon" phones. This is true of, as far as I know, all CDMA carriers. Verizon will unlock the GSM side of an iPhone 4S for international use for their own customers. Other CDMA carriers have other policies. The Verizon iPhone 5 and later are unlocked and will work on any GSM network.

An unlocked phone purchased from the Apple Store will not work on a CDMA carrier.

May 19, 2014 8:06 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

If you purchased an unlocked iPhone from T-Mobile (model A1429, does contain both GSM and CDMA chipsets, but the CDMA chipset is inactivated to Verizon), it it possible Verizon will activate the chipset in this phone? It's very unfortunate they refuse to activate a chip your phone contains merely because you bought it from another carrier. I recently assumed someone's 2-year Verizon contract and would really like to use my GSM and CDMA-compatible iPhone 5s.

Possible to use iPhone on GSM and CDMA networks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.