Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My macbook keeps on freezing

Hi, I have a MacBook7, 1, and it keeps freezing.

Mac Info:

- Version 10.6.8

- Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

- Memory 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

- Startup Disk Macintosh HD

The first time it froze, I had been using it for about 2 hours, and I was watching a TV episode online when all of a sudden it just stopped. I had to force shutdown and restart. Half an hour in the same thing happened, and then the time I had before it froze got shorter and shorter until it was about 10 seconds. By the end I didn't even have any applications open before it froze and I did havie it plugged in.

When it freezes, there is no grey screen or beach ball mouse, it just stops. The fans go on full blast and if I'm playing a song on iTunes it keeps replaying the last 1/2 a second of the song like a broken record.

Sometimes when I restart it takes a few 5 second holds of the power button to get it going, but usually it eventually does. Recently though I was starting it up and where the apple should have been a circle with a diagonal line appeared, like a no access sign or something. I had to then shut it down and restart again. This has only happened once.

I've been having this problem for a while now, it got so annoying that I gave up, put it away and didn't use it for 2 years. I've decided to bring it out give it another shot but it eventually froze, and the period before the freeze kept getting shorter and shorter, until now it barley lasts 10 seconds.

The first time this occurred I had it examined at a Mac store, it cost a couple of hundred dollars and they couldn't find anything wrong. I've been tempted to get it examined at a new one, but I don't know if I want to waste that much money again.

If anyone has any idea what's going on or how to possibly fix it, I would greatly appreciate it,

Thanks.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 15, 2014 3:33 PM

4 replies

Feb 15, 2014 6:42 PM in response to ionaaa

Few questions before I pass on suggestions:

1) Is there any data on here that you don't have elsewhere? If so, take the time to back up everything to an external drive as soon as possible

2) Do you have the original install discs for the Mac?

3) How much free space is available on the hard drive?

My first thought is that the hard drive in the computer is failing. You can test it and perform many other troubleshooting steps yourself, but you need to have the original install discs in order to do so.

~Lyssa

Feb 20, 2014 9:28 PM in response to Lyssa

Yes, I've already backed up everything on to an external hard drive, and I also have all the origional install disks.

I just tried to check the space on the hard drive, but it froze before I could find the information. Now when I try to turn it on again, the only thing that happens, is the fans go on full blast, nothing else.

Sorry I can't get you more informaiton, I've tried turning it on multiple times and it still happens.

Feb 21, 2014 3:55 PM in response to ionaaa

It's possible the hard drive in your computer is failing - generally speaking, a hard drive will last 3-5 years, sometimes less, sometimes more.

Follow the steps in this guide to use Disk Utility to repair the disk and check the SMART status. The SMART status indicates the hardware is OK (verified status) or failing (failing status).

Let me know if you need any help along the way.

~Lyssa

Feb 21, 2014 6:17 PM in response to ionaaa

Since you've got a valid backup (always important), the first thing I'd do is boot to the diagnostics from the original installation DVD. Run diags, full if possible, but short if not. This will, hopefully, give you information about pending hardware failures. In some cases, there have been faulty video chips that have caused systems to fail in the fashion you describe. Apple has often replaced the logic boards on these systems, even out of warranty.

If there is a HDD failure in progress, diags will likely find that and enable you to replace the ailing hard disk. You can use your installation DVD to restore your complete system from a Time Machine backup or migrate your user ID into a fresh install.

If the diagnostics do not indicate any failures, you should:

1. Reset your NVRAM (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379);
  2. Reset your SMC (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964);
  3. Boot to Safe Mode (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1564).

Optionally, but not a bad idea by any means, is to boot to the installation DVD and use Disk Utility to repair the disk and repair the file permissions.

With luck, the NVRAM and SMC resets will get the system singing happily. If not, let us know and we'll carry on from there.

Message was edited by Trane Francks to fix wonky links and bad grammar.

My macbook keeps on freezing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.