Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 5 passcode isn`t working?

I`ve been in Japan for the last 2 and a half months, and I haven`t needed to check my cellphone, since I have a Japanese iPhone as well. I tried to turn it on and use it this morning, but my passcode will not work.

I`ve tried every passcode I`ve ever used, and it still won`t let me use it.

I haven`t used it in a couple of months, and I`m worried it has some kind of factory setting it might have changed to?

Regardless, I really need to use my phone, and I don`t have the computer with me that it is synced to. And I can`t afford to lose all my data on my phone. I never have time to back it up, so I`m freaking out about it.

Is there anything I can do?

The screen says its January 1st.. So I`m confused..

Thank you

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Feb 15, 2014 5:48 PM

1 reply

Feb 15, 2014 6:02 PM in response to DreamingFaintly

The Passcode Lock can't be changed by itself, and there is no factory default for the Passcode Lock. With the exception of an employer provided Exchange account required by the employer when accessing the account on the iPhone, the Passcode Lock must be manually enabled with the passcode entered twice for confirmation.

Nothing can be changed or enabled on an iPhone that is powered off.

You should have been backing up the iPhone which can be done wirelessly with an Apple iCloud account.

Were you accessing an Apple iCloud account on the iPhone with Find My iPhone enabled with the account settings? Does the iPhone have cellular reception there?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1212

If you have Find My iPhone enabled, you can use Remote Wipe to erase the contents of your device. If you have been using iCloud to back up, you may be able to restore the most recent backup to reset the passcode after the device has been erased.

My iPhone 5 passcode isn`t working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.