Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I phone 4

I set up a mail account on my I phone 4 Telephone when it turned on I had over 300 e-mails. Now I cannot find where to delete them when I swipe I it says in gray more or in orange archive, no delete. Please help.

Michelle Carter

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.4, I phone 4

Posted on Feb 15, 2014 6:20 PM

1 reply

Feb 18, 2014 6:16 AM in response to carter0718

Hey carter0718,

Thanks for the question. You can configure where discarded messages are moved to in the advanced settings of your mail account. The following resource provides an example similar to the one you have described. While the article is titled for Gmail accounts, the same resolution should apply to your account:

iOS: Understanding Gmail Archive

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4207

Mail archives Gmail messages rather than deleting them:

User uploaded file

When you archive a message, it moves to the All Mail folder. It does not delete the message from the Gmail account. You can learn more about the Gmail archive feature in Gmail Help. Archive replaces all delete options when you use a Gmail account, including tapping the Trash icon while you view a message and selecting Edit to manage multiple messages.

You can disable this feature in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Gmail Account > Account > Advanced > Move Discarded Messages Into:

User uploaded file

Thanks,

Matt M.

I phone 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.