Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dropped Macbook, now there's a clicking noise...

I dropped my Macbook Pro 13-inch earlier today, it fell from the bathroom counter (like 2.5 feet) to a tile floor and landed on the front side, like it was on the floor like an upside down V. One of the corners (I'm guessing the corner it fell on) got bent in as well. Anyway ever since I dropped it it's been making this clicking and ticking noise every once in a while. I haven't noticed any lagging while using it but the ticking bothers and concerns be because it's never happened before. And it seems like the clicking is in sync with the fan so it might be that, but I'm not sure. What might've happened? And should I take it in to get looked at? And also could I get someone to fix the bending or is it gonna have to stay that way?

Also the nearest Apple Store is like 2 and a half hours away from me so if I got it looked at I'd have to go to like a Best Buy or something....User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 15, 2014 9:17 PM

5 replies

Feb 15, 2014 9:30 PM in response to rieisawesome

What might've happened?

IMMEDIATELY backup all data to an external Hard drive

thats right where your internal hard drive is.

bottom right,

or upside down bottom left

User uploaded file

Also the nearest Apple Store is like 2 and a half hours away from me so if I got it looked at I'd have to go to like a Best Buy or something....

Best buy NOR Apple is going to fix the alloy chassis, I can tell you that much for certain,..... its all 1. remove, 2. toss 3. install new

and thats very costly.

Feb 15, 2014 9:34 PM in response to rieisawesome

What Im saying is that data is valuable, notebooks are not.

backup all data ASAP (if you havent already).

Diagnostics from Apple are free, warranty or not, estimates would be given before service is done, IF you choose to do so at all.

Actually having done much metal work myself and having used to repair notebooks, I could bend that back into place easy enough actually, both the chassis and the bottom plate

would it be perfect? No, but very close.

certain 3rd party repair places CAN and DO do such things, and it wouldnt cost that much.

replacement hard drives are cheap as dirt, $65 (if that ends up being the case upon hands-on diagnostic inspection)

😊

Feb 15, 2014 9:50 PM in response to rieisawesome

as someone that hoards giant piles of hard drives and knows how they work, .. if theyre running at all, theyre very fragile.

if the heads were parked, not so much. How fragile is a record needle and record if you shake it while its running? VERY

same exact thing with a HD.

Diagnostics are free from your Apple store, take advantage of it.

Dropped Macbook, now there's a clicking noise...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.