1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 16, 2014 1:01 AM by Alley_Cat
litratista Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I think the MENU button of my apple remote is broken. All other button works perfectly except for the menu button. I used a digital camera to test the infrared signal from the remote, all other buttons emit infrared except the menu button. What can I do? Out of warranty already. Is it time to throw it away? If its a hardware issue, can I fix it? Or are apple remotes disposable?

The remote is only seldom used so I dont know what caused the menu button to break. Please help. I hope I won't need to buy a new remote.

TIA.

Apple TV, Apple remote
  • Alley_Cat Level 6 Level 6 (18,785 points)

Sounds as though it is broken if you've tested for the IR signal.

I have several white/grey remotes - some of the white ones have buttons that barely work and require very firm pressure to actuate.  I think they do tend to wear out to be honest but others have no issues.

I actually prefer the older white remotes to the grey ones which seem to have less range and a narrower usable angle.

If you have an iPhone/iPad there's a free Remote app you could use provided you can use provided you can access Setting if you need to.

Apple sell the remotes quite cheaply, though you could also consider a multi-function remote or train AppleTV to use a different remote.

AC