Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My problem is too complex for a simple one-line question. Is there an upload facility where I can describe the problem in some detail?

My Problem with Word and Excel for Ms Office 2011

• I work on a MacBook Pro (Mavericks, v.10.9.1) as an editor of a scholarly journal.
  • I regularly receive submissions as Ms Word, Excel and PowerPoint files, mostly created on Windows computers.
  • For the past 10 years I have been using Ms Office software for Mac without any problems to open and process these documents.
  • I have since 2012 been using Ms Office 2011 for Mac without without any problems.
  • About 10 days ago, I started getting error messages when trying to open Ms Word and Excel files, but I have no problems with opening and editing PowerPoint files.

Failed Clean Reinstallation Attempts

I completely removed all traces of Ms Office from every nook and cranny of my Mac, following the procedure “How to completely remove Office for Mac 2011” from the MS support website at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2398768, and then made a clean reinstallation of Ms Office 2011, followed by two recommended updates. The problem is back.

The Error Messages

When I click on an existing .DOC or .DOCX Word file I get the following error message:

(1)

"The Open XML file Normal-dotm cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents or the file might contain characters (for example, \ /)."

Details

No error detail available.

It then lists the name of the document that I was unable to open.

---------------------------

(2)

If I click on the image of a Blank page in the Word Document Gallery the following error message is displayed:

"Word cannot open the existing global template

(Normal.dotm)."

—————————————

(3)

If I then click on OK, a blank document 1 opens up. When I type information and try to save it I again I get the error message:

This is not a valid file name. Try one or two of the following:

*Check the path to make sure it was typed correctly.

*Select a file from the list of files and folders.

---------------------------

Workaround Solution by Editing Ms Word Documents Via Pages

I can open the Word documents that Word cannot in My Mac’s Pages word processing program, and after editing, export them again in Ms Word format, but cannot open the in Ms Word for Mac to see if everything is alright. This is no way to work, using Ms Word.

Any suggestions how I can solve the problem, sort of buying Ms Office 2013 for Mac?

(By the way, I am writing this message in Mac’s Notes application).

<Edited by Host>

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Ms Off 4 Mac prob, not a Mac prob.

Posted on Feb 16, 2014 6:06 AM

14 replies

Mar 7, 2014 3:32 PM in response to rklopper

It must be how you are recieving these files and or how the writers are naming them.

First thing to try is to go to the Web Based Email system you are using and see if you can download, SAVE, those Word Doc attachments to your hard drive and then see if they open. If they do then it is the Email Client, Program, you are using that is somehow changing the format of those attached Word Docs. If that is Apple Mac Mail I suggest you find some other Mail client. Like Outlook that is included ion Office for Mac.

Mar 7, 2014 3:32 PM in response to rklopper

Rembrandt,

Did the two updates to Office 2011 get you to 14.3.9? That's the latest Mac version of Office.

I use Office 2013 and Mac Office 2011 on the same machine and have no problems opening any files shared between the two. You followed the instructions for uninstalling and updated your new installation correctly, I have to assume. It sounds as if there is a problem with your cuurent configuration but if it's not an update problem, or an installation problem, I can only direct you to the MS Office for Mac user community -> http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac (sometimes you get lucky and get an actual MS employee answering your question).

Good luck,

Clinton

Mar 7, 2014 3:33 PM in response to rklopper

This question is also on the iMac forum and no one has an answer. I called Apple Joint Venture and they told me to call Microsoft. I called them, and they told me the problem was my "virtual drive". They advised me to call Apple and ask them to turn off my virtual drive. So I plan to do that. I will report what happens.

Mar 7, 2014 3:34 PM in response to rklopper

I have the same problem and it started yesterday. I am an Apple Joint Venture member. They told me that Office products were never able to be shared between Macs. I believe that is incorrect. They suggested I call Microsoft. So I did. Microsoft remoted into my machine and told me the problem is with Apple Virtual drive. They suggested I call Apple and ask them to remove my virtual drive. I have an appt with Joint Venture later today. I will report what they say and if this works.

Mar 7, 2014 3:33 PM in response to Csound1

I took your advice and started my own question - however my problem seems to be very similar to rklopper. I get the same error when I open an Office file on a different Mac from my Mac. I don't know if rklopper is networked or not, or how he's receiving the files that he edits.

My solution was to turn off file sharing using AFP, reboot, then turn on file sharing. That eliminated the Office message that rklopper has. Hope this helps.

Apr 16, 2014 3:51 AM in response to iimonster

Your problem may not be exactly the same as that of the original poster of this older thread, and it can be very confusing for everybody if we try to answer more than one question in each thread.

In order for us to give your problem our undivided attention to try to solve it, would you kindly start your own thread, describing the trouble you are having in the fullest detail, including completing your details to show what Mac or iDevice you are using, what operating system, and what version of the application in question. Please remember to post in the forum relevant to your hardware or version of OS X.

My problem is too complex for a simple one-line question. Is there an upload facility where I can describe the problem in some detail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.