Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Don't use the installmac uninstaller : it adds hidden software.

It's been known for some time, that the installmac adware uninstaller doesn't work, and leaves software behind. I hadn't known for sure that it actually adds new genieo software if you didn't already have it.

Taking a completely new install of OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion that had never had any extra software added, I ran the uninstaller downloaded directly from installmac at ...installmac.com/downloads/Uninstaller.dmg.

User uploaded file

Things start as expected

User uploaded file

but right after asking if the browser homepage & search should be reset, we see this request...

It must be legit, surely ?.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Well, that's a relief 🙂

The uninstaller then quits, and you might think that all was well.

But look, there's a new process running, named Application :

User uploaded file

We should see what it is, right ?

User uploaded file

Note that it is using files from /Library/Frameworks/GenieoExtra.Framework

which most certainly is not part of OS X and did not exist prior to running the uninstaller.

There's more, of course :

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

So, using the installmac uninstaller on a new install of OS X has added these items :

/Library/Frameworks/GenieoExtra.Framework

/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.genieoinnovation.macextension.client

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.genieoinnovation.macextension.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.genieoinnovation.macextension.client.plist

No doubt, the genieo/installmac person will be along to say that these are harmless... just like their other software.

Next time : the genieo uninstaller.

Posted on Feb 16, 2014 8:11 AM

9 replies

Feb 16, 2014 9:15 AM in response to andyBall_uk

The current genieo adware uninstaller seems rather less flawed than the installmac one. Whcih isn't to say that it works : just that it doesn't add anything that wasn't already there from installing in the first place.

It does still leave software behind : these at the least

/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.genieoinnovation.macextension.client

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.genieoinnovation.macextension.client.plist

~/Library/Safari/Extensions/Omnibar.safariextz

On earlier or different installs, it's possible that even more would remain after running the uninstaller.

Feb 16, 2014 1:35 PM in response to andyBall_uk

This is quite interesting! I needed to do some more testing with a new Genieo and GoPhoto.it installer that is going around... I'll have to do some playing with this as well. I would never have imagined that the uninstaller would actually install something!

Do you mind if I repeat these findings in an article on my blog? (Appropriately accredited, of course.) I'd like to document this for the security community, and have a number of security folks following. This might help to increase detection of Genieo aka InstallMac as a PUA, at the very least.

Feb 16, 2014 3:25 PM in response to andyBall_uk

I did indeed find the same thing. I also ran a couple different Genieo uninstallers, including the uninstaller that comes with the new one currently going around, with the name Mac_Installer, that installs both Genieo and GoPhoto.it. None of those uninstallers installed anything.

One interesting observation... if you look at the interface for the Genieo installer, downloaded from the Genieo site, it now displays a "progress indicator" of sorts that looksl ike a spinning InstallMac logo. So, despite the difference in behavior, I think we can rule out any claims the Genieo folks might make about InstallMac being just a "partner," whose behavior has no bearing on Genieo. Their ties would seem to go deeper than that.

Don't use the installmac uninstaller : it adds hidden software.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.