Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3 beeps after few minutes

It seems to me that my macbook pro (early 2011, 13,3" i5) has a strange behavior.

More than one year ago I replaced one bank of memory with 8Gb so I have 2 + 8 = 10Gb.

I replaced also the hard drive with a Samsing 830 256 Gb.

The last weekend a very strange behavior: macbook froze with three beeps. The boot is OK, but after a few seconds (<1 or 2 minutes) everytime the same the mac froze with three beeps.

What I've done:

1. I tryed to replace the RAM ->but nothing changed

2. I tried to go in Apple Hardware test -> RAM OK!!

3. I replaced the SSD with the original 320Gb Hitachi..... and... it worked!!!!

3a. Then with a SATA to USB adapter and with Disk Utility I repaired the SSD disk, there was something about boot boot sector.

3b. So I replaced the original drive with the Samsung SSD.

But today, after a week that I used a lot my mac it happened again.

What I've done? I repeated steps 3, 3a and 3b.

My questions:

- A problem with my OS (10.6.8) ?

- Why after repairing boot sector it seems that everything go all right?

- why froze + three beeps for a problem that seems to be in hard disk?

Suggestions?

Many thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 16, 2014 9:22 AM

2 replies

Feb 18, 2014 11:04 AM in response to msx75

I work in a school district and have noticed this behavior as well. In both cases, the kernel_task would reach 350% of CPU use and then the computer would freeze and issue the three beeps. Since I am an ACMT, I isolated the issue to the HD. It was not RAM, not the MLB, or anything else. On the HD, I could boot into the root and another admin account just fine. It was isolated to one user's account and it occurred on or shortly after Feb 15th.

Feb 22, 2014 2:20 AM in response to msx75

I have the same OS, an early 2011 17" i7 with 7200 rpm HDD and 8Gb RAM. I think it was Feb 13 when it startet beeping as i was taking a break - no load what so ever. After a hard reebot it startet beeping just after everythig loaded. Extended hardware test OK. I heard some strangeHD noises just when it started beeping. After a few tries it worked fine until this morning 5AM. Console shows multicluch and google drive issues just before the freeze:

22.2.14 5:02:48GoogleSoftwareUpdateAgent[17286]Can't open input server /Library/InputManagers/MultiClutchInputManager.bundle
22.2.14 5:03:04CleanMyMacHelperTool[17313]Wont clean Install Google Drive because readonly

Now it works again after a few tries.

Could it be software related?

3 beeps after few minutes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.