Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sync Issues

I've just bought my 1st mac and I'm having trouble changing everything over from pc to mac. Mainly to do with sync. I have copied my original itunes library from my pc and placed it into the mac. Everything has gone across and I've authorised the mac. The problem i've got is when i plug any of my apple devices into the mac it sees them in iTunes but when i look for content on the devices it says that it will erase all data and overwrite with the itunes on the new mac. Is there any way of plugging my iphone into the new mac and itunes adapts to my phone so i don't have to go down the route of setting everything back up. I've also got 2 ipod touches and a ipad so you can imagine it will take forever to do.Thanks.

iPhone 4S, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 16, 2014 2:07 PM

5 replies

Feb 16, 2014 2:19 PM in response to inman5699

First of all, your post says you are running OS X 10.6.8. Yet your post says you "just bought your 1st Mac." So I'm surprised you would be running a three year old operating system. The current OS X version is 10.9.1.

Second, sync generally works by moving content from computer to i-device, not the other way. You copied your iTunes library, but what about the other content from your old PC? Did you use Migration Assistant? You should have. It sounds linstead as if you are relying on your i-devices to bring content over for you - you should not do that.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1408

Feb 16, 2014 2:24 PM in response to sberman

Hi, Yes it is an older machine, I'm trying to convert but don't want to spend a large amount of money (at the moment) on a new machine and not like what i've bought. I've always struggled with apple products as I've always had PC's. I think it's just the terminology that apple uses that is confusing. So far I'm not doing to bad. Only had it a day.

Sync Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.