Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't install FCP7 on a Maverick OS?

I am trying to install FCP7 from the original disks into may computer with Maverick. OS 10.9.1

And its telling me the installer found an error.

Does anybody knows of a codec or a plug in that can overpass Mavericks and make FCP7 Available to install?

Thanks

Final Cut Pro 7, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 16, 2014 5:03 PM

4 replies

Mar 1, 2014 10:56 AM in response to PepeRevlon

I had the exact same problem. I got a new macbook that shipped with mavricks and I was stoked until I found I couldn't install FCP7. It said it couldn't run PPC programs, which confused me because my girlfriend has a macbook running mavricks and she uses FCP7 all the time. THIS IS HOW I FIXED IT I had an old macbook that had fcp7 and it was runnning 10.5.8. I upgraded to mavricks, partitioned my new computer, cloned the drive, and now it runs on my new macbook. Of course it wasn't that simple, first I tried just upgrading to 10.6 and then 10.6.8 and then 10.7, but I believe this process was important because it installed one bit of software that I believe makes it all work. Rosetta. I don't know much about it but apperrentlly it translates the older computer code that was used, to the newer code they use now. In between upgrades on my old laptop I always checked to make sure that FCP7 still ran, and one time I got a message saying I would need to install Rosetta on my computer to make it run. The program was installed and got carried over when I upgraded to mavricks. I did ask apple support twice about my issue before trying this method and they were no help. Good luck!

Mar 5, 2014 8:57 AM in response to PepeRevlon

Pepe,

Mavericks cannot install FCP7 from disks because the installer was PowerPC based, hence the error as Mavericks will not run any PowerPC installer. This is not a Rosetta issue, just that Apple never provided a updated installer for FCP7.

Assuming you still have your old computer, you can install and run FCP7 on Mavericks (no Rosetta needed) by using Migration Assistant (MA) but unfortunately, MA is an all or nothing program. If you are transferring all the old programs, then MA is the way to go. You can also delete the programs you don't want before or after MA transfer.

FCP7 will run on Mavericks, it is just getting it installed that is the bear.

You also can't simply drag the application over by USB unless you know where all the supporting files are located on your old computer, copy them and then install in the proper places on the new computer. Unfortunately, Apple has changed where each file goes, which is exactly what an installer program does, puts all the files in the appropiate places. Lots of hidden files.

While it is possible to use terminal to gather files from the old computer, and then to place them in the appropiate folders on the new computer, it is not something easily done.

If you don't want all the old programs but just a few, one way to cheat, is to clone your old hard drive onto an external drive, remove all programs you don't want to transfer, and then run MA. Big Pain.

Having said all this, I am a big fan of the new FCPX 10.1.1. Way faster, better management, no out of sync audio, much better multicam, etc…

You can download a free trial to play with it.

Check out FCP.co for some great articles and forums.

Hope this helps, Greg

Can't install FCP7 on a Maverick OS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.