Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PB G4 A-> B stickies, etc

Both PowerBooks run OSX 10.5.8

What I want to do: move old Stickies notes from Hard Drive A to Hard Drive B.

Laptop A died, and I bought a USB cable to attach to the HD because the new PB has a larger HD.

I have zero intention of pirating commercial software, but moving Freeware from A to B instead of re-downloading it seems cool.

It seems like a fairly straightforward process. Can I simply move Applications? Do I need to move anything else, such as Libraries or Preferences?

A died in 2012 and I feel excited about reviving it.

G4, Al, 1.67, 15", Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Feb 16, 2014 4:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2014 9:57 AM

As the old PB A is stated to be deceased since 2012, I presume you have one of the USB universal hard drive adapters to mount a bare drive.

What I would do is make a folder on the desktop of HD B and drag those apps and files you want to it. Then go through them to see which will work properly. If there are problems then search for and copy support files in the user library / Preferences and Application Support folders ( of course place them in the same folders on HD B).

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2014 9:57 AM in response to mrcircle

As the old PB A is stated to be deceased since 2012, I presume you have one of the USB universal hard drive adapters to mount a bare drive.

What I would do is make a folder on the desktop of HD B and drag those apps and files you want to it. Then go through them to see which will work properly. If there are problems then search for and copy support files in the user library / Preferences and Application Support folders ( of course place them in the same folders on HD B).

Feb 18, 2014 9:30 AM in response to mrcircle

If you want to manualy migrate existing Stickies notes from one computer to another you need to locate 3 files:

User/Library -> StickiesDatabase

User/Library/Preferences -> com.apple.Stickies.plist

User/Library/Preferences -> com.apple.Stickies.lockfile

You then need to ensure that they go into the same location on the 'target' computer

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

PB G4 A-> B stickies, etc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.