Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

First time using external hard drive for backup of computer....

First time using external hard drive for backup of computer....it asks "Do do you want to erase disk?" In order to proceed, I have to say "yes" ... is that what I want to do? ...Seems like I'm skipping a step...

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), HP Laserjet 3055

Posted on Feb 16, 2014 5:26 PM

10 replies

Feb 16, 2014 6:04 PM in response to christiki

Exactly what HD is it, chances are it is not formatted to work with your iMac however you can easily fix that. In Finder right click the EHD's icon and select Get Info and look at the format type. If it's formatted for OS X it will say Mac OS Extended (Journaled), if it says anything else open Disk Utililty ( Applications - Utilities - Disk Utility) select the HD and then click the Format Tab and Format for OS X. The whole process should take less than 5 minutes.

Feb 17, 2014 4:57 PM in response to christiki

To use Disk Utilities, attach the drive, open Finder > Applications > Utilities > Disk Utilities and then highlight the LaCie drive in the left panel of the DU window. In the right panel, choose the Partition button top center of the pane. Then decide how many partitions you want on the drive, one is just fine.

Then choose the format, the default is Mac OS Extended (Journaled) which is prefered.

Then name the partition or drive.

Then choose the partition table, the default is GUID which is prefered.

Then Apply and you will get to confirm that you want to erase and format the drive.

Quit DU and you are ready to go.

First time using external hard drive for backup of computer....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.