Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Back up fails

i'm trying to back up my files in my external hard drive as usual, using the time machine application, but I get a message saying that the back up failed because there is not enough space in the disk. I have already excluded files and it doesn't solve the problem. I understand the way back ups work is by only updating and copying what already is in the disk used for the back up. So, why is it backing up everything again? My external hard drive has 248.63 GB available but it says it needs near 300 which is why I'm confused. Please help!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 16, 2014 5:30 PM

3 replies

Feb 18, 2014 5:11 AM in response to caritadeplata

Your backup drive should at least be twice as big as the original when it comes to Time Machine. Otherwise it won't have room to store the archives you want to preserve. Note, the archives of Time Machine when it is set up right, will recursively delete as frequently as it is needed to maintain room. It is better to manually backup with Time machine from its menu, using the System Preferences from the Apple menu to add its menu, and archive any versions of your archives somewhere off the Time Machine if you don't want a persistent copy left on your original drive. Otherwise your archives will eventually be erased.

Back up fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.