Thank you for the details of the issue you are experiencing with your iPod shuffle. I recommend reviewing the following steps for the issue you described:
The 5 Rs: Reset, Retry, Restart, Reinstall, Restore Remember these five basic suggestions if you have a problem with iPod shuffle. Try these steps one at a time until the problem is resolved. If one of the following doesn’t help, read on for solutions to specific problems.
- Reset iPod shuffle by turning it off, waiting 10 seconds, and then turning it back on again.
- Retry with a different USB 2.0 port if you cannot see iPod shuffle in iTunes.
- Restart your computer, and make sure you have the latest software updates installed.
- Reinstall iTunes software from the latest version on the web.
- Restore iPod shuffle. See Updating and restoring iPod shuffle software on page 26.
You can find this on page 24 of the iPod shuffle User Guide:
Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.