Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lowering/muting startup chime volume on iMac 14,1 (Late 2013)?

Hello everyone,

Has anyone had any luck lowering or muting the startup chime volume on the iMac 14,1? I'm aware that general threads exist for muting the startup chime volume but a lot of solutions only work on Macbook Pro's.

Here are the techniques that I've tried or aren't practical:

- remembering to mute the volume before you shutdown

- never turning the iMac off, leaving it in sleep mode

- using StartNinja

- using Psst

- using the "Startup Sound" System Preferences pane.

iMac, Windows 8

Posted on Feb 16, 2014 9:40 PM

3 replies

Feb 18, 2014 10:13 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I knew I had to deal with this answer (rkaufman's). But I suppose it's good that you posted this in case people who don't know any better want to mute their chime. You are absolutely right, which is why I'd prefer to simply lower the default volume of the chime rather than it being whatever the volume was right before one shuts down the computer.

One solution I've found is to leave Psst running in the background, which is a kludge but at least it works.

The person named den.thed above clearly did not read the original post.

Lowering/muting startup chime volume on iMac 14,1 (Late 2013)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.