Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installer mac problem

I recently found installer mac on the safari application and whenever i create a new tab, it comes up with bing and installer mac in the search bar.

I can't find the files anywhere on my macbook pro.

does anyone know how to get rid of this 'installer mac'

Thanks

Posted on Feb 17, 2014 2:18 AM

11 replies

Feb 17, 2014 12:38 PM in response to Sholderness

thats looks dodgey, is there not a safer way?

Unfortunately, the Genieo adware (which powers InstallMac) buries some files deep in the system that, if removed improperly, will cause problems. If you follow the instructions there carefully, it will work. Just don't do what I've seen many people do - ie, don't skim it, assuming you know what it says and acting on what you think rather than on what the article tells you to do.

You definitely should not rely on the uninstaller, which not only won't remove everything, but will also install components if they're not present! See:

InstallMac uninstaller antics

If you make a mistake, there are some recovery instructions at the end of the removal instructions.

Feb 18, 2014 5:10 AM in response to Sholderness

Your choice, of course. But if you plan to erase in any case : why not spend a few minutes trying the manual removal & see how you get on ?.

I wonder if sometimes people try to remove the files by dragging to the desktop or dock rather than trashing them (this will leave the original behind, to cause problems). You can be sure, by checking that the file(s) in question are actually in the trash at each stage.

Selecting a file & using Command Delete on the keyboard should trash any file, requesting an admin name & password if required.

Feb 18, 2014 6:11 AM in response to Sholderness

Is it a virus?

A couple anti-virus apps will detect it as malware. A couple more will detect it as a PUA. Most won't detect it as anything at all. Beyond the fact that it tracks your web browsing habits, serves no useful purpose beyond making money for the people behind it, using deceptive methods to get itself installed and digging itself in pretty deeply, it doesn't really fit the "malware" definition. Once it's removed, it's removed, and it doesn't appear to steal any of your personal information (beyond browsing history).

Installer mac problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.