Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't rename smart playlist.

So, I want to make a "top 25 most played" playlist using the smart playlist. For some reason, I couldn't rename the name of that playlist. I tried moving it from one folder to another, I tried to sync and sync, I tried to change the conditions (or whatever it's called) and still no good. The name of the playlist is still "playlist".

There's also that thing where for some reason the number of plays isn't updating properly. No matter how many times I play a song in my iPod, in my PC the number'd stay the same.

I'm beginning to think there's something wrong with the update and syncing, uhm, I don't know. I can still put songs in so at least that's something. Help? 😟

iPod touch, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 17, 2014 7:12 AM

7 replies

Feb 17, 2014 12:08 PM in response to unhappypeople

unhappypeople wrote:

I can still put songs in so at least that's something.

Are you sure this is a Smart Playlist, because the only two ways to add songs to a Smart Playlist are to change the rules of the Playlist or change the attributes of the song so that it then conforms to the rules of the Playlist? You cannot place songs into a Smart Playlist by dragging etc.

To rename a Playlist, Smart or Regular, simply click twice on the text of Playlist name, once to highlight it and the second time to get into edit mode. On the second click, the name will become boxed and highlighted in blue. You then type in the new name and click on the enter button on your keyboard. Look at the screenshots below and notice the difference between them:

User uploaded file.

and

User uploaded file

Notice also, the icon to the left of the Playlist name, the "gear" icon. That's a Smart Playlist. The screenshot below shows the different icons:

User uploaded file

You cannot add songs directly to a Playlist Folder.

For the number of Plays to be correctly updated the following is required:

• You have to use Sync to manage the iPod with iTunes. The Play Count will not increase if you use Manually Manage.
  • The song must be played to the end of the time of the "song file". For example, if the music finishes at 3 minutes 04 seconds, but the "song" continues (silently or fades out) until 3 minutes 07 seconds, you must let the iPod play through to 3 minutes 07 seconds. If you stop the song playing, or stop it by moving to another song at any time before "it" finishes, the Play Count will not increase.

Also;

• With a Regular Playlist, you can drag songs into the list and move them out again yourself. You can also use the Delete command to remove a song from a Regular Playlist while still leaving it in your Library.
  • With a Smart Playlist, set to be a "Top 25 Most Played", the Playlist will update itself as one song achieves a higher Play Count than a song currently in the list. So if a song is played fully in iTunes, the Play Count will increase by 1. If the song is played on your iPod, when you next Sync the iPod to iTunes, the Play Count will increase by 1. You cannot "delete" a song from a Smart Playlist.
  • A Smart Playlist, set to include the top 25 most played songs, may have more than 25 songs unless you set the rule to limit the list to 25.

Feb 18, 2014 5:23 AM in response to the fiend

Yes, it's a smart playlist. I did mention I've put the conditions in, right?

I tried naming it to "Top 25 most played", sync, disconnect, rename it again to something different "asdfhjl", sync, disconnect, still no use.

Then I tried making another smart playlist "top 25 most played", with the same conditions, then I moved it into a playlist folder. The name changed. So far that's the only working method for me to change the name of that smart playlist. (regular playlist's fine.)

But the thing is, it's a bit inconvenient to just change a playlist name that I'd have to move it from one folder to another. What if I don't want it in a folder at all?

Thanks for the fast reply.

Feb 18, 2014 10:29 AM in response to unhappypeople

There should be no need to move a Playlist to a folder in order to rename it and strangely, it is possible (in iTunes 11.1.3.8 at least) to give two Smart Playlists the same name, in the same folder.

I think there must be something you're doing which isn't quite right, the thing is, what is it?

Currently, I'm not quite sure exactly what you are doing, so let's try renaming this Smart Playlist again, and you tell me which point it doesnt do what it should. Do this in your iTunees Library, but do not have the iPod connected to the computer.

From the steps below, which is the first one that does not work?

1. Click twice on the text of the Playlist name. It should turn blue.
  2. Type the new playlist name. Does the new text start going into the box?
  3. Once you have finshed typing the new name, press your enter key. Is the new name accepted?

A couple more things,

• which version of iTunes are you using? Go to Help/About and the version number will scroll up the screen.
  • Are you using Sync, or Manually Manage to manage your iPod?

Feb 19, 2014 5:43 AM in response to the fiend

+ All of the step works.

+ I'm using 11.1.4.62

+ I'm using manually manage.

I hope these screenshots would help, because I tried doing it again.

So first I try and make a smart playlist with all the conditions and everything.

(http://i61.tinypic.com/29e1vgg.jpg)

I typed in the name "top 25 most played playlist"

(http://i59.tinypic.com/30ldo5z.jpg)

In my iPod, the name is still "Playlist"

(http://i57.tinypic.com/fxzb7l.jpg)

I tried moving that smart playlist to a folder and somehow, the name changed to "top 25 most played"

(http://i61.tinypic.com/5zfplt.jpg)

No matter how many times I change the condition / rename the playlist it wouldn't work, so far the only way for me to change the name is to use that method. I'm wondering if there's anything wrong with me :/

The smart playlist's working fine, there's really nothing wrong with it.

Feb 19, 2014 7:47 AM in response to unhappypeople

If I undertsand this correctly, the name changes in your iTunes Library but not on the iPod.

Unfortunately, if you use Manually Manage, you will need to remove the Playlist from the iPod and then put back the renamed one.

I'm not sure exactly what you are doing when you move the Playlist into the folder, but the fact is that if you rename something in iTunes, it needs a Sync for that change to automatically change on the iPod as well.

Feb 19, 2014 7:53 AM in response to the fiend

From your screenshots, it looks as though you now have two Playlists on the iPod - the not moved one, named Playlist and the one that you renamed and moved.

If so, that supports my theory that when you rename it in iTunes, you are then putting it manually onto the iPod but failing to remove the first one.

Perhaps what is happening whe it fails, is that although you rename the Playlist, when you try and put it on without moving it to another folder, the iPod thinks "there's no point in doing this, the content is the same".

Nov 4, 2016 1:11 PM in response to the fiend

Hi:

I've been using manually manage and creating playlists with names that

stick on my devices until iOS 8 or higher came along. My iTunes is

ver #12.1.3.6

My steps are:

1. Drag and drop music into iPad Mini.

2. Sort music in iPad mini and select songs to create playlist from,

I.E. "1980s" - all songs with a year between 1980-1989 will be

in that playlist. Right click on selection, and left-click "Create

playlist from selection". "Playlist" appears in left column under

iPad contents. I then click on that "Playlist" or "Playlist" in the

main view pane(where all the songs in the playlist are). I

rename it "1980s", it changes IN ITUNES view of the iPad, but

not on the iPad.

I'm in the same boat as the original poster and like I said this

started happening only with these newer devices and iOS.

Can't rename smart playlist.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.