Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Space used to store music

My iTunes shows I use 38GB but on my Mac (About this Mac - Storage) Music is showing as 86GB.

Assuming (?) iTunes is right how do I clear 48GB (i.e. 86GB less 38GB) off my laptop?

I am posting this here but have also posted it elsewhere and you might want to read the advice string so far received but which sadly has not resolved the problem.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5894464?answerId=24872497022#24872497022

Thank you

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 17, 2014 7:09 AM

12 replies

Feb 17, 2014 7:38 AM in response to peternevill

See if you have consolidated the music into itunes - i.e. if you look in Finder for your standard Music folder do you see the same music tracks as in Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music? They may not be in the same folders but it sounds like you have both copies on the Mac..

The way I use iTunes is to go to File/Library/Organize Library then check Consolidate files to make sure I have a copy of all my music in iTunes itself. Then I erase all the music held raw in Music folder in Finder. (much the same way you would use iphoto or Aperture)

NB make sure you have backed all of this up first as you may not want your music entirely in m4a format, you may want the mp3s again one day.

Feb 18, 2014 7:10 AM in response to LD150

Thank you.

My file path for itunes is:

music/itunes/itunes media/music....the all the tracks are shown

Does that make sense?

I don't see any other folders where music is stored.

I presume from the above there cannot be or appear to be any duplicates

I have consolidated the library and I guess that consolidation is based on the file path above

Andrew

Feb 18, 2014 7:55 AM in response to peternevill

You can try a couple of things:

First, do a Spotlight search for some random song titles, choose Show All in Finder, and look for duplicates. Make sure that the Path Bar is showing at the bottom of the Finder window (Finder > View > Show Path Bar).

Select the file names one at a time, and keep an eye on locations in the Path Bar...

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Feb 20, 2014 7:45 AM in response to peternevill

how can I safely delete one folder whilst keeping itunes playing?

Not sure I understand. With an issue like this, why is keeping iTunes playing while you figure this out any kind of a priority?

Why don't you just move all of the music, both folders (at least) onto an external drive, sort out the files in each, see what's duplicated, what's not, and so on, then move one folder containing all of your music back to your Mac?

Feb 20, 2014 4:12 PM in response to peternevill

Your file management is a bit of a mess. You have two "music" folders embedded inside even more music! I cant tell what holds all this but if it is yet another higher level "music" folder you are in a real mess.

You should be able to delete the lower one. If that messes up itunes, Like Tuttle says get all your music reorganised into one place. Clear out the itunes database then "Add to Library" with the reorganised music. when clearing out the itunes entries dont send the music to trash, just the itunes entries.

Space used to store music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.