Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What if I want to disable the trackpad?

Is it possible to disable the trackpad? When I am typing my palm may accidentally contact the trackpad causing the cursor to move to an undesired location. I haven't had a Mac in decades but am considering buy one again. However the trackpad is so large it looks like it will be a real problem when I am typing (like the smaller touch pad on my current laptop).

MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 17, 2014 7:25 AM

3 replies

Feb 17, 2014 7:36 AM in response to ABQ to SAT

It is not possible to disable the trackpad. You can connect an external mouse and then have the mac ignore the trackpad via System Preferences, Accessibility.

Also, Apple claims that "Functionality for 'Ignore accidental trackpad input' is enabled automatically..." (See About the "Ignoring accidental trackpad input" - Support - Apple).

Personally, the trackpad never seems to be a problem while typing, and I do a lot of typing. And I have not noticed anyone complaining about it here.

What if I want to disable the trackpad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.