Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change my NAT type on my AirPort Extreme to work with my Xbox One?

I have the AirPort Extreme plugged into the modem and setup as a standard router. No special settings or bridges. My NAT type on my Xbox One is showing up as strict and I am not sure how to change it. I am computer literate but I have very minimal networking experience so I will really need step-by-step instructions. Any help that anybody can provide I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 17, 2014 10:49 AM

13 replies

Jul 1, 2017 11:16 AM in response to Tesserax

I'm sorry to post to this seeing as how it is so old, and I hope it works.

Regarding the IP address, do I use the 10.0.1X series or the address shown in the Xbox, which starts 172.16 . . .?

I used a 10.0.1 series address and NAT on xbox reads "unknown". We tried the group play test and got an error message regarding Teredo not found and to make sure that a Teredo port was entered. So, do we now have to use the Teredo Tunneling option now, or do we add that port to the Airport extreme port mapping?

Thank you

Jul 3, 2017 7:39 AM in response to LaPastenague

Howdy,

Thank you for your reply. I found a later posting by Tesserax dated 1/19/2016, that showed that Microsoft(?) had added more port numbers (now I can't find it again, but fortunately, I printed it out.

THEN I discovered that my 70 year old eyes had misread the MAC number, it was a B not an 8 (getting old ain't fun), and still no joy; however; your reply gave me an idea. So I reset the Airport Extreme via AirPort Utility and what the heck, why not, also reset via the little button on the back of the Airport Extreme. I also shifted the Xbox to my main wireless as per your suggestion.

I don't know how much the Airport Utility interface changed since the 2016 posting, but I did see that on the Airport Extreme Time Capsule icon on the Utility gave me a listing of my wireless devices and their MAC and IP addresses when I hover the cursor over one of the devices, most handy. Going into the Utility network tab and following Tesserax's instructions, I did see DHCP already had the IP address included and all that I needed to do was enter the MAC address. The ports setting had a slightly different IP address listed, so I changed that to the same IP address (the last set of numbers that is) as in the DHCP Reservations, and entered the new port numbers.

Now my son has a NAT Type of Open. So I guess that WE won.

Again thank you for your help,

Old Sub Sailor.

Feb 17, 2014 3:31 PM in response to Hazmat1121

Unfortunately, the AirPorts are not listed as Xbox Live-compatible routers ... so there is no guarantee doing this will get Open NAT status for Xbox Live!

Basically what it comes down to is that although you can get an Internet connection for the Xbox with the AirPorts, you may not get the necessary NAT setting (Moderate or Open) for the Xbox Live! on-line game that you want to play. As such, you basically have two options: 1) Create a DMZ (Apple calls this a Default Host) for the XBox or 2) Configure the AirPort for Port mapping to open the required ports to allow Xbox Live! access ... or 3) Use a compatible router.

Option 1 - Create a DMZ

• AirPort Utility > Select the AirPort > Edit > Network Options
  • Enable default host at: <Enter the IP Address for the XBox>

Option 2 - Configure Port Mapping

The following ports must be available for Xbox Live to operate correctly:

• UDP 53
  • UDP 88
  • UDP 1863
  • UDP 3074
  • TCP 53
  • TCP 80
  • TCP 1863
  • TCP 3074

To setup port mapping on an AirPort base station, either connect to the AirPort's wireless network or temporarily connect directly, using an Ethernet cable, to one of the base station's LAN ports, and then use the AirPort Utility, to make these settings:

1. Reserve a DHCP-provided IP address for the Xbox.

• AirPort Utility > Select the AirPort > Edit > Network tab
  • Click the "+" (Add) button to enter a DHCP Reservation.
  • Description: <enter the desired description of the host device>
  • Reserve address by: MAC Address
  • MAC Address: <Enter the MAC hardware address of the Xbox or the MAC address of the wireless depending on how you connect the XBox to the network.>
  • IPv4 Address: <enter the desired Private IP address you want to assign to the Xbox>
  • Click Save.

2. Setup Port Mapping on the AirPort Extreme.

While still on the Network tab:

• Click the "+" (Add) button under the Port Settings dialog box.
  • Description: <you must enter a description here; it can be anything you want>
  • Public UDP Port(s): 53, 88, 1863, 3074
  • Public TCP Port(s): 53, 80, 1863, 3074
  • Private IP Address: <enter the DHCP Reserved IP address for the Xbox you created earlier>
  • Private UDP Port(s): 53, 88, 1863, 3074
  • Private TCP Port(s): 53, 80, 1863, 3074
  • Click Save
  • Click Update and allow the AirPort to restart.

Feb 17, 2014 9:47 PM in response to Hazmat1121

A DMZ, in networking terms, is used to allow a device on the local network to bypass the router's firewall. As such this device will be fully exposed to the Internet. It has the advantage of not having to configure the firewall for port mapping, but the disadvantage (again) that the device is completely exposed to the Internet. Any other local network device, not assigned to the DMZ, is not affected.

The second option, basically eliminates the risk of using a DMZ, by just opening the firewall ports necessary to access Xbox Live!

Feb 18, 2014 7:46 AM in response to Tesserax

Thank you for the info. I think I will give option 2 a try (it sounds safer for my network and computers that are on the network as well). I do have a few questions though:

-For the MAC address you said "Enter the MAC hardware address of the Xbox or the MAC address of the wireless depending on how you connect the XBox to the network." How do I know which to use? Is there a way to look that up on the Xbox? Right now I just have it connected via the wireless adapter installed in the xbox one.

-As far as reserving the IPv4 address for the Xbox, how do I know what to use for the IP address?

Thank you again. You have been very helpful and I cant wait to give this a try.

Feb 18, 2014 1:05 PM in response to Hazmat1121

-For the MAC address you said "Enter the MAC hardware address of the Xbox or the MAC address of the wireless depending on how you connect the XBox to the network." How do I know which to use?

It would depend on how you have the Xbox One connected to your local network.

Is there a way to look that up on the Xbox? Right now I just have it connected via the wireless adapter installed in the xbox one.

Since you are using the Xbox's wireless connection, you can find its MAC address using the Xbox console, as follows:

• From the Home screen, press the Menu button on the controller.
  • Select Settings.
  • Select Network.
  • On the Network Settings pane, select Advanced Settings.
  • The Xbox One's MAC hardware addresses will be listed. For Ethernet connections, it's the Wired MAC; for Wi-Fi, use Wireless MAC. Note: Also note the value for IP Address. You will use this later.

As far as reserving the IPv4 address for the Xbox, how do I know what to use for the IP address?

You can use any of the private IP addresses used by your local network since this option will dedicate the one you choose for your Xbox. Back when you noted the Xbox's IP address, you will now which IP range your local network is using. For example, the AirPort base stations default to an IP range of 10.0.1.2 - 10.0.1.200. You can choose any of these for your reserved IP address.

How do I change my NAT type on my AirPort Extreme to work with my Xbox One?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.