Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are there two different paths for Pages?

What is newer: pages 5.1 on my MacBook Air or pages 9 on my old desktop?

Pages 9 appears to have options that pages 5.1 does not (such as merge fields).

I also don't see an online manual for pages 5.1. The latest manual is pages 2.

Now I wonder if Apple created a smaller release of pages for devices like the Air.

My desktop can not run the latest version of the of OS (10.9.1). I am anticipating buying a new desktop soon. But I wouldn't want to buy a new desktop and find that I was forced to buy a "crippled" version of pages.

Pages 8-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Feb 17, 2014 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2014 10:28 AM

Pages 5 has been out now for 4 months.

You never read any of the reviews or comments in the App Store before you installed it?

Apple has completely rewritten all the iWork and iLife software, also iTunes and to some extent Safari.

In the process they stripped out over 100 features in Pages, added a lot of bugs and made the file formats incompatible with previous versions.

They have even made the file formats incompatible between minor versions such as Pages 5.01 and Pages 5.1.

Whilst there are some features that are improvements in Pages 5, mainly object styles and the drawing tools, everything else is a massive step backwards with no real indication from Apple, except a minor list, about what they will put back, when or even if ever.

The essential issue is what Apple did to its users. This was foisted on them without warning and damaged a lot of their files. Apple has basically abandoned the previous iWork apps, but left them on your Macs as a fall back. The new file format is totally new, bloated and extremely incompatible with everything else, even itself at intervals.

Currently most users are totally fed up, going back to Pages '09 and hunting around for a replacement in the long term.

Peter

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2014 10:28 AM in response to marianfromla

Pages 5 has been out now for 4 months.

You never read any of the reviews or comments in the App Store before you installed it?

Apple has completely rewritten all the iWork and iLife software, also iTunes and to some extent Safari.

In the process they stripped out over 100 features in Pages, added a lot of bugs and made the file formats incompatible with previous versions.

They have even made the file formats incompatible between minor versions such as Pages 5.01 and Pages 5.1.

Whilst there are some features that are improvements in Pages 5, mainly object styles and the drawing tools, everything else is a massive step backwards with no real indication from Apple, except a minor list, about what they will put back, when or even if ever.

The essential issue is what Apple did to its users. This was foisted on them without warning and damaged a lot of their files. Apple has basically abandoned the previous iWork apps, but left them on your Macs as a fall back. The new file format is totally new, bloated and extremely incompatible with everything else, even itself at intervals.

Currently most users are totally fed up, going back to Pages '09 and hunting around for a replacement in the long term.

Peter

Are there two different paths for Pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.