Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

New logic board = No Whine

889 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 11, 2006 6:12 PM by xboxphanatic RSS
Jason Anthony Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Aug 7, 2006 9:07 PM
Just have to report as other have, replacing the MLB on my week 11 MBP eliminated the whine. Finally! If you have the whine, call Apple and request a new logic board, you won't be sorry.

Best,
Jason

Macbook Pro 1.83GHZ 2GB   Mac OS X (10.4.7)  
  • dliao Level 1 Level 1 (95 points)
    Aug 7, 2006 9:15 PM (in response to Jason Anthony)
    How's your temperature? Based on others, it seems as the temperature have decreased dramatically. Unfortunately mine seems to be hotter.

I'm also week 11.
    MBP 2.16Ghz 7200RPM 1GB, Mac OS X (10.4.6)
  • dmcbride Level 1 Level 1 (95 points)
    Aug 7, 2006 10:03 PM (in response to dliao)
    I havent seen any difference in heat...I think it may even be a bit hotter. but then again I do actually hear the fans go on when I am doing something stressful cpu wise...
    MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.7), 2GB Crucial/Micron
  • g0dspeed Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Aug 8, 2006 12:04 AM (in response to Jason Anthony)
    I live in Singapore and my MBP is like 10 days old. However I do believe what I got was an older version of a chip or rather logic board? How do we determine whether we are using a older logic board?
    ANybody here lives in singapore and got their logic board replace free no questions asked?
    Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.7)
  • Montegentile Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Aug 8, 2006 3:22 AM (in response to Jason Anthony)
    One week ago, Apple Center in Rome has changed my Logic Board with new one.

No more whine and lowest temperature then before in idle, same temperature in full load.

Version Boot Rom is MBP11.0055.B03 but Serial Number is "SystemSerialNumb"... so, there isn't a serial number or I can't see it.

A strange thing is, during boot, when Apple logo appear in center of screen, I've noted that this logo is at low resolution, before it was a high resolution... obiviously this is not important.

Little distortion on boot bong sound at max volume, same that before.
    MacBook Pro 1.83 GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.6)
  • i. m. Calculating status...
    Aug 8, 2006 6:11 AM (in response to Montegentile)
    Try to reset your PRAM ................
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

Regards,
    Ioannis
    B/W G3,Ti400, G4dual1.25, PB 1.33, PB 12a867, dual G5 1.8, mini, macbook pro 2.0, Mac OS X (10.4.7), imac intel 20", 2 X 20" ACD
  • xboxphanatic Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Aug 8, 2006 7:51 AM (in response to Jason Anthony)
    Just have to report as other have, replacing the MLB
    on my week 11 MBP eliminated the whine. Finally! If
    you have the whine, call Apple and request a new
    logic board, you won't be sorry.

Best,
    Jason

Macbook Pro
    1.83GHZ 2GB   Mac OS X (10.4.7)  

It is good to read all these good reports. I just sent in my Macbook Pro week 8 for the Logic Board replacement. Apple will be receiving it today. I figured now was the best time to do it since school starts at the end of the month for me.
    Macbook Pro 1.83Ghz 1.5GB RAM 80GB Hard drive, Mac OS X (10.4.7)
  • Montegentile Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Aug 10, 2006 8:38 AM (in response to xboxphanatic)
    My old and original Logic Board was 9th weeks.
    Really I've noted that during first days temperature was lower than now.

In fact, before, MBP was at 45° Celsius in idle, now it is at 60° C in idle and 65° C. in full load. Someone other has noted this same thing ?
    MacBook Pro 1.83 GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.6)
  • xboxphanatic Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Aug 11, 2006 6:12 PM (in response to Montegentile)
    Got my Macbook Pro back today. They did replace the logic board. As has been noted the whine is pretty much impossible to hear now except for putting ear right next to the keyboard and it is lower pitched. However they didn't put my casing back on right. The metal bar just above my F9 key is bulging. It looks like there is a post the goes into a hole there and it wasn't aligned properly. I am going to take it to a local mac repair shop and see if they can fix it for me. Other than that I am happy with the results.
    Macbook Pro 1.83Ghz 1.5GB RAM 80GB Hard drive, Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.