Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New logic board = No Whine

Just have to report as other have, replacing the MLB on my week 11 MBP eliminated the whine. Finally! If you have the whine, call Apple and request a new logic board, you won't be sorry.

Best,
Jason

Macbook Pro 1.83GHZ 2GB Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Aug 7, 2006 9:07 PM

10 replies

Aug 7, 2006 11:03 PM in response to dliao

Temp seems the same. Temp monitor reports 53-56 w browsing/skype. I'll let you know once I get cooking in InDesign, Photoshop and Parallels at the same time. That usualy get's things pretty warm.

The case feels the same as ususal. What I would call too hot. But I've gotten used to it.

At least that freaking insane noise is gone. You had to know that wasn't right.

Sheesh.

=)

Aug 8, 2006 3:22 AM in response to Jason Anthony

One week ago, Apple Center in Rome has changed my Logic Board with new one.

No more whine and lowest temperature then before in idle, same temperature in full load.

Version Boot Rom is MBP11.0055.B03 but Serial Number is "SystemSerialNumb"... so, there isn't a serial number or I can't see it.

A strange thing is, during boot, when Apple logo appear in center of screen, I've noted that this logo is at low resolution, before it was a high resolution... obiviously this is not important.

Little distortion on boot bong sound at max volume, same that before.

Aug 8, 2006 7:51 AM in response to Jason Anthony

Just have to report as other have, replacing the MLB
on my week 11 MBP eliminated the whine. Finally! If
you have the whine, call Apple and request a new
logic board, you won't be sorry.

Best,
Jason

Macbook Pro
1.83GHZ 2GB Mac OS X (10.4.7)

It is good to read all these good reports. I just sent in my Macbook Pro week 8 for the Logic Board replacement. Apple will be receiving it today. I figured now was the best time to do it since school starts at the end of the month for me.

Aug 10, 2006 8:17 AM in response to Jason Anthony

So, I've had some time to monitor the temp. Running Parellels core one temp stays around 76 and core two at 72. Idle temps seem a few degrees lower, but noting significant...still in the 50s. The odd thing is that core one always seems to be a few degrees hotter than core 2. I guess it's only odd when compared to the orginal LB where both cores stayed within 1 degree of each other.

Jason

Aug 11, 2006 6:12 PM in response to Montegentile

Got my Macbook Pro back today. They did replace the logic board. As has been noted the whine is pretty much impossible to hear now except for putting ear right next to the keyboard and it is lower pitched. However they didn't put my casing back on right. The metal bar just above my F9 key is bulging. It looks like there is a post the goes into a hole there and it wasn't aligned properly. I am going to take it to a local mac repair shop and see if they can fix it for me. Other than that I am happy with the results.

New logic board = No Whine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.