Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck iMac during 10.6.2 to 10.6.8 OS combo update

Dear community,

I recently had to wipe out an iMac HDD and reinstall the OS. The install DVD contained OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.2, and I wished to upgrade to Mavericks (10.9) by doing an intermediate update to 10.6.8, as required by the new OS installer.

After a successful disk erase & OS installation from DVD, I tried to update the OS by using the 10.6.8 Combo update http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1399, which was located on an external hard drive. Just before finishing the update, the screen went black and there was no way to recover the system. Fan and internal HDD were both spinning, so the system was stuck for an unknown reason.

After waiting for 15 minutes, I decided to switch off the computer manually with the power button, and since then the iMac won't boot any more. Here's a list of what I tried:

- Boot from cd ("C" during startup): impossible, another disc is currently in the drive, and can't eject it

- Safe mode: won't load in 30 minutes, I guess it won't load at all

- Reset NVRAM: no effect

- Single user mode:

- "fsck -fy": no effect, volume is OK;

- reinstalling the updates from within su mode "softwareupdate -i -a" (hoping to reinstall it and get rid of the possible crap): impossible, there is no network connection.

Any help would be very welcome 🙂

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Feb 17, 2014 10:26 AM

2 replies

Feb 18, 2014 3:25 AM in response to baltwo

Thanks for the hint, I managed to eject the disc holding the mouse click and inserted the OS DVD.

This doesn't solve the problem though, I can't boot from it (holding "C" has no effect, nor has the "Alt" key).

Reading the verbose boot output, things seem pretty bad:

jnl: unknown-dev replay_journal: from some_decimal: to some_other_decimal (joffset some_hexadecimal)

jnl: unknown-dev replay_journal done.

Maybe broken filesystem, but I can't explain why external boot mode doesn't work…

Stuck iMac during 10.6.2 to 10.6.8 OS combo update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.