Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Massive problems with my laptop (hard)

Hello.

I've had this laptop for a couple years now and I never had any problems with it, until recently.

One of the biggest problems is, when I close the lid and the laptop goes in sleep mode, somehow it heats up a lot. Like, really really hot. The screen is off and so is the apple logo so I have no idea whats going on. The battery is located at the front part of the laptop and its not what heats up, as its the back where it gets really hot (oh, and the battery gets drained too). Not only is this annoying, I'm also scared its shortening my laptops life. This started happening a couple days after I installed Maverick.

Another really random problem is that suddenly some commands stopped working. For example cmd+c, cmd+z, cmd+shift+z, cmd+x, cmd+v all don't work anymore. However, cmd+a, cmd+d, cmd+f, etc all work. Also, the cmd and the other keys (c,z,v,x) work perfectly fine by themselves. So that's really confusing.

Thinking this could have simply been a configuration problem (even though I hadn't changed anything) I decided I'd completely format my laptop and re-install Snow Leopard (which is the only CD I had) and hopefully that would fix the problem, and perhaps fix the first problem too.
No dice. I formatted, cleared partitions, erased the free space, installed Snow Leopard, and both problems are still happening.

This leaves me completely confused, as I have never seen any problems of the type, specially on this macbook. I don't think the commands problem is hardware since the other cmds work, however it can't be software since I did a complete format and reinstalled the OS??

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

MacBook

Posted on Feb 17, 2014 10:20 AM

4 replies

Massive problems with my laptop (hard)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.