Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thumbnails and full image will not display in iPhoto

I have recently migrated my data from a 20 inch iMac to a 27 inch iMac both of which were fully up to date. Since doing the migration, I have erased and sold the 20 inch iMac and now upon closer inspection of the new mac, I have discovered that some of my events in iPhoto (mostly photos added from Sept-now) are not working properly.

To look at the events they appear fine when opening iPhoto for the first time after turning the mac on. The image is there that represents the event, you click on it, all the images are there with their thumbnails but when you click on it, there's no image but just a grey canvas with an exclamation mark in a triangle in the centre of where the image should be. When you click to go back to view the rest of the images, all the thumbnails are grey and when looking at the events the representing image has also gone. Some events haven't even shown me any thumbnails other than the grey error image.

I have tried running all the repair options available that appear when pressing command and option when opening iPhoto and no joy! Also tried making a new library and importing the iPhoto library file from an old time machine backup but still no joy.

Im sure the images are there somewhere because of the brief preview you get when you open iPhoto for the first time and also when I scroll through my events, all the representing images show but when I stop scrolling they go back to a grey empty box.

Please help!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Feb 17, 2014 1:55 PM

1 reply

Feb 17, 2014 2:01 PM in response to KTFluff

Not necessary - iPhoto has three versions of every photo and for it to work all three must be present - you may be seeing a thumbnail or even a cached image

the ! indicates a disconnect to the original which can be corruption or can be tha tythe original is missing

since the iPhoto first aid options have not worked try iPhoto Library Manager - http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/ - use the free trial version's rebuild command and see if tha thelps - it creates a totally new library leaving the eisting one untoiuched

As to Time Machine - note that you do not "import" from it but you must use the Time Machine application to resotre from it - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

LN

Thumbnails and full image will not display in iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.