Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I transfer music from Mac to iPhone WITHOUT iTunes?

I'd like to transfer (not sync, just transfer) songs from my Mac to my iPhone. How can I do this without going through iTunes software?

I know there was another software I used to do this with... something like iFun or iExplorer; but neither of those will transfer from iPhone to Mac. I've searched the web several times for such software, came up empty.

iMac, Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Posted on Feb 17, 2014 2:24 PM

19 replies

Feb 17, 2014 2:37 PM in response to Mayden Vane

There is no software I'm aware of that does this.

But I wonder - why would you possibly want to do this? It sounds to me like asking "How do I open a twist top on a jar without using my hands, feet, or mouth"?

By the way, your first paragraph discusses moving music from Mac to iPhone, while your second discusses moving music the other way.

Feb 17, 2014 6:04 PM in response to wjosten

Your answer only relates to moving songs from the iPhone to the Mac. I want to move from the Mac to the iPhone. But thanks for at least trying. Everyone else seems to think this is impossible.

There are a lot of 3rd party software for the iPhone. So for one, if its possible for 3rd party software to transfer music from iPhone to Mac, its possible for it to do the reverse. For another, I already did this some time ago. I just don't remember what software it was.

Feb 17, 2014 11:11 PM in response to Mayden Vane

Well, I'm sure this will come as a surprise to many here, since no one has been able to answer my query about a 3rd party software that will transfer songs from the Mac to the iPhone...

I just found one of the software I used to use to do this. It's called, "iTools". And it's free. I just transferred an album of music to the iPhone with it. The problem is, the mp3 tag information did not transfer along with. So the artist names do not show, and the songs don't get properly categorized. If this exists, there must be something better out there that will transfer both the songs and their id3 tags from Mac to iPhone. No one here knows of one? Really?

Feb 18, 2014 7:21 AM in response to KiltedTim

Obviously I do have a fundamental problem with iTunes, otherwise I would not be on here specifying I do not want to use iTunes. I have already decided iTunes and I do not get along, and I want nothing more to do with it. "The point" is that it deleted hundreds of songs on my iPhone that I had no copy of. The point is that it won't allow me to use my two computers to transfer songs. The point is I can't even configure it to manually manage my songs, because as soon as I do that, it tells me its going to wipe everything off the phone first. And if I am not constaly vigilante about reading and understanding all of its many warnings, that's exactly what it will do. The ponit is it complicates your life and puts you in an mp3 prison, where you're afraid to make the wrong move. I hate iTunes for many other reasons, including its poor sound quality, and I do not use it anymore.

Feb 18, 2014 7:26 AM in response to Mayden Vane

The only reason it would delete songs on your phone that you had no physical copy of would be if you tried to sync it with a different iTunes library. If you purchased the songs from iTunes, you can re-download them.

If you purchased them from other sources or ripped them from CDs, and you no longer have the originals you don't legally own them any more.

If you're that dead set against iTunes, perhaps you should purchase a different phone.

Feb 18, 2014 7:30 AM in response to wjosten

You're right about that, you had to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, where they talked about convert and importing at the same time. Well I tried it. MobileGo says "Failed to sync to device, sync with iTunes first". That leads me back to the original problem. If I try to sync with iTunes, iTunes will erase everything on my phone, because I dared use another computer to transfer something to it.

Feb 18, 2014 7:40 AM in response to KiltedTim

"The only reason it would delete songs on your phone that you had no physical copy of would be if you tried to sync it with a different iTunes library."

Yes, I know that. That's why I mentioned I have two computers. I also know you can redownload songs from iTunes. The songs don't come from iTunes. I don't know why you wish to devolve my query into a legal battle (like I'm sure you're a copyright lawyer for the RIAA) but number one, who said they were copyrighted songs? Not me. Number two, even if they were, yes the copies are mine if I choose to make copies. At least in my country, that's the case. That fact does not change if I lose the original, if the original source is unplayable, or if it burned up in a fire. Are you an international copyright attorney too? If so, you're not a very good one. And I posted a simple query. I didn't post it to be told to buy a different phone. If you can't answer the query, then why are you here? Just to argue for iTunes and copyrights? I already mentioned that there is software that exists to do what I want, so I obviously do not need to buy another phone. I just want better software at this point.

Jun 18, 2015 1:17 AM in response to Mayden Vane

Apologies for reviving an old post.

This issue is a bit like charging a levy on blank cassette tapes back in the 80's - great for tackling the rip off merchants who pirate copyright materials.

Yet it penalised the legitimate users who were creating new music that ultimately you guys bought on itunes.

Sure, I objected to paying 10% to keep Bono in the manner to which he was accustomed.

As an amateur musician, I record hours of rehearsal material to play back in the car to check my performance and learn parts.

Its a pain to have to revert to my 'home' mac just to update my recordings.

Yes Dropbox does it and you can stream it back through the player - but only if you are in a connected area - no good in the car.

To be able to drop mp3s onto an iphone through airdrop, email or via a cable without having to synch an itunes library would be useful.

How can I transfer music from Mac to iPhone WITHOUT iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.