Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Rotate 90° on new Mac Pro fails

I have a NEC MultiSync LCD 3090WQXi (2560x1600 pixels) hooked up to my new Mac Pro (late 2013, AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics), which I transferred from my old Mac Pro (early 2009). Whereas the Display System Preference would correctly rotate the screen 90° on the old Mac Pro, it will not do so on the new one. Clearly, there is enough VRAM to support this task, but when I attempt to do so, only non-optimum resolutions, much smaller than the display is capable of showing will work, competely distorting the screen objects.

Mac Pro, Other OS

Posted on Feb 17, 2014 3:28 PM

8 replies

Feb 17, 2014 4:14 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

It's a Monoprice dual-port DVI to Thunderbolt adapter, connected to the DVI-D cable that came with the display. To me, it doesn't make sense that this would be a cable issue as the display is driven correctly in the horizontal orientation, so the card can address the resolution correctly.

Also, this series of NEC 30" displays are very commonly used by color professionals; this is not an obscure configuration.

Feb 17, 2014 5:51 PM in response to A Fisher

That should work quite well. I did not mean to imply that was in any way deficient or inappropriate. But these systems are new, and your use is slightly unusual. Perhaps you have found a Bug.

Does the display support DisplayPort directly?

Perhaps using a Mini Displayport to DisplayPort cable would allow you to work around this anomaly. MonoPrice sells those as well, and they are under US$10 if my memory serves me.

Feb 17, 2014 7:18 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I appreciate the thought, but I'm not looking for someone to take wild stabs at what the problem might be.

As I indicated above, this is not a cabling issue. If that were the case, the cable would not be able to address the resloution in either orientation, yet it works fine horizontally. This is either a hardware issue in the graphics card or more likely a software issue.

FYI, the NEC monitors do not have DisplayPorts, so your cable suggestion is moot. The only existing solution is a Dual-Link DVI-D to MiniDisplay Port adapter. The standard DVI-D to MiniDisplay Port cable will not support 2560x1600 pixels.

May 20, 2015 9:58 AM in response to A Fisher

OK just discovered something. Rotation is still an option but it does not happen automatically like it did prior to upgrading to Yosemite. At least that's what I recall happening. I also have two monitors which seems to really confuse Yosemite with each being different resolutions and orientations. I was finally able to get them to display properly. Mirroring turned on automatically and I had to gather the display controls onto one screen to fix this.

Screen Rotate 90° on new Mac Pro fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.